WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

absolutely could not get app to sign on to smart plug for setup when app ran on my droid turbo. saw the switch but said some android settings were incompatible. turned them all off but still no luck. app worked with no problem on my Kindle Fire so not sending my switches back yet but also certainly not recommending. Did work with the 1st IFTTT script I wrote for it, however,

[ Edited ]

During setup of the Wemo Switch, I would get the error that it could not connect to the router, to re-enter the router password.

Solution:

Change the wireless channel on your router to 1,3,6 or 11, NOT AUTO.

Then go through the setup and hopefully it will work.

When I did this, it took less than 2 minutes to connect.

After setup, you can set the channel back to Auto and enable 5 GHz.

Note:  On the wireless router, connect to 2.4 GHz, not the 5 GHz.  Disable 5GHz for setup.  ->  This is in my Wemo setup instructions.  My switch was purchased in 2016, so older models may work differently.

Have had the wemo for 5 years and even when we have changed routers we could connect to wifi. Now we changed from Dish to allo and after doing a hard reset and fu finding the wemo network it will not connect. This wemo is on our walk for the outside house lights. Have changed the channel from 11 to 6. Need help please. Allo tech people have no idea. I asked what is the range of the DHCP but they don't know.

We don't want to use something other than wemo as we really think our problem is with the new router but Allo tech people have no idea. Also the router is in the same room as the light switch wemo. Something is keeping the wemo network from connecting. Waiting for your response thank you!

When you changed from Dish to allo, did you get a new wireless router?

If allo supply the router, I bet their router is very basic with limited range.

You could first try getting a new router from allo, and if that doesn't work, buy your own wireless router.  If the WEMO switch worked before at the remote location, then it might be the router.

I always purchase my own wireless router.

Good Luck.

Hi, Lindasue. How about channels 1 and 9? Make sure the Security mode is set to WPA2. Also, if your new router is dual-band, make sure the SSIDs of each frequency band are different.  

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Geez, really, you think it's a channel issue?  And now you're adding 9 to your advice, rather than the usual 1,6, and 11?

You folks in support need to get your act together.  The first question should be to ask what the wemo LED is doing after failing to connect.  Just 'cause the app says it fails doesn't always mean that it did fail - sometimes it works but the app still can't find it.  And telling people to change their router configuration before it's known to be necessary can cause trouble for all their devices.  If their phone is working using wifi why would the wemo not?  Are you saying it's not compliant with wifi standards?

Lindasue - try starting from scratch - reset the wemo and make sure it's broadcasting.  Then try to connect it to your router's wifi.  Watch the LED on the switch - it should go from flashing white to flashing amber to solid green (this depends a bit on the switch type).  Have a look at your wifi signals using your phone to confirm whether the wemo has stopped broadcasting it's SSID.  If it doesn't stop flashing amber try moving it closer to the router temporarily to see if that sorts it.  If it stops flashing, try forcing your phone to connect to the 2.4GHz wifi band if you have a dual band router to see if the wemo shows up there.

You probably don't need DHCP or to change channels or to add a new router, but you may need to be sure your router wifi is set to use WPA2 and allow G and/or N devices.  Some older wemos did need the wifi set to a fixed channel and a reserved IP in DHCP but that seems to be sorted with the later firmware updates.

[ Edited ]

I read somewhere it was an AUTO channel problem.  That any fixed channel should work.

All my switches/plugs were new 2016.

I found a solution...I'm returning it to the store. Not worth the frustration or hours of research. It doesn't work period.

Why won't wemo accept my wifi password. I've tried rebooting, turning off my route and phone all to no avail. I hope someone can help