WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

Have the exact same issue and have tried all recommended troubleshooting

Have another 9 devices which I did successfully install, albeit the process is anything but smooth with most

Belkin has put products to market without carefully enough testing them

At this point, I'm exaperated

What is the procedure for returning the one device that doesn't let itself be installed?

These steps helped me reset my wemo switch! However, there were a few more steps...I had to go to my settings and enter my router password. Worked like a charm!!

I had a hard time setting up my Wemo lightswitches. Tried all the suggestions nothing worked until I brought my wifi signal closer to the WeMo device. Then it worked fine. It all boils down tot he fact that the WeMo devices have extremely weak wifi broadcasting/receiving abilities and a wifi router or newwork extender need to be within 10-15 feet of each device. This is something that Belkin did not address with either the light switch or the wall plug. Don't know what they were thinking unless they assumed that everyone has some kind of extender within feet of every device. You can fiddle with them all you want but unless you can get them all within a very strong wifi area it's best to send the device back and use something else.

WEMO Maker Inventor

I'm not sure this is a typical experience.  My furthest wemo is probably 40 or 50' from my router through walls with a signal strength read from the wemo a consistent 70%.  OTOH the firmware and app is still somewhat buggy especially in the install procedure, and the support team's script telling you to change around all of your router settings (despite it working fine for all of your other devices) needs some refinement too.

what do you mena "WEMO devices supports WPA2 with 8-63 characters comprised of letters and numbers only"

that is a contraction, if the WEMO only supports alphanumeric passwords, then it does not support WPA2!

Thing is i have an '@' in my WPA2 password, and the wemo worked fine yesterday when i first set it up, but today it wont connected, just flashing amber.  I reset it and connected to the Wemo Wifi network, setup the device again, but then it just goes back to flashing amber again.  How do i make my wemo connect to the Wifi network like it did yesterday?  I have restarted the wireless router too, but there were no issues there, all other devices can connect to router fine.  I have no range extenders, just the one WAP/router.

@dantheperson

It means that WEMO is not currently compatible with networks that use special characters. If possible, change the password to something using the alphanumeric characters.

By the way, the amber light means that your device is not connected to the wireless network or you have poor connection. Here are the possible solutions that you may do:

• Make sure your wireless network is configured properly. You should have an active wireless Internet connection.
  • Refresh the list of available wireless networks and look for your WEMO network.
  • Reset your device.  

Got exactly the same problem
Seems I must return product
Wasted half a day of valuable time trying everything
I have one switch purchased a year ago which does work although this is controlled from a 6 plus but I cannot connect my iPad mini
I think I will ditch Belkin as it appears very flakey
Need a reliable solution

So has there been any progress on this or any hope that these "devices" (i.e. pieces of junk as they are right now) will ever work?  

Fought with it for 2 hours again tonight...still can't get them to connect.  I boggles my mind how anyone says they are working for them because I am tech savvy yet these won't work by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.  

Just trying to get the two light bulbs to be recognized by the app so I can control them (or schedule them) via the iOS iPhone app but, nope, not happening.  

I did, just a few moments ago, get it to recognize that there are two bulbs but the as I was adding "rules" to schedule them on/off, BAM, it loses connection and now says there are no devices detected now.  

When I first did a reset on the wall plug for the bulbs earlier it said there was new firmware.  OK, cool. Maybe they fixed stuff, right?  Well, after telling it to update the firmware and watching the light alternate yellow, green, yellow, green for an hour and 15 minutes I gave up.  The app says "it may take up to 10 minutes."  Oh?  By what clock?  75 minutes by mine and it was still alternating colors.  Is that even what the lights are supposed to do?

Frustrated doesn't begin to describe me.

03msc wrote:

So has there been any progress on this or any hope that these "devices" (i.e. pieces of junk as they are right now) will ever work?  

Fought with it for 2 hours again tonight...still can't get them to connect.  I boggles my mind how anyone says they are working for them because I am tech savvy yet these won't work by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.  

Just trying to get the two light bulbs to be recognized by the app so I can control them (or schedule them) via the iOS iPhone app but, nope, not happening.  

I did, just a few moments ago, get it to recognize that there are two bulbs but the as I was adding "rules" to schedule them on/off, BAM, it loses connection and now says there are no devices detected now.  

When I first did a reset on the wall plug for the bulbs earlier it said there was new firmware.  OK, cool. Maybe they fixed stuff, right?  Well, after telling it to update the firmware and watching the light alternate yellow, green, yellow, green for an hour and 15 minutes I gave up.  The app says "it may take up to 10 minutes."  Oh?  By what clock?  75 minutes by mine and it was still alternating colors.  Is that even what the lights are supposed to do?

Frustrated doesn't begin to describe me.

Have you tried the following?

• Unplug your LED bulbs

• See if you can get your Link to upgrade to .8686

• Now see if you can link & update bulbs to .83

[ Edited ]

No, have not.  I guess flipping the switch off would be the same as "unplug" right?  

I will try that tomorrow.  Just seems like a losing battle at this point after so much trouble.  Seems it should be something very simple yet it is extremely complex (for some reason). 

I'll give it a shot sometime...

EDIT::::::::

I decided to give it a shot.  I did briefly connect to the Link unit and it does say it has .8686 on it.  However, after I got to where I could see that the light started blinking yellow/amber about once every second (so, slowly).  I also got an error on my phone that said something about remote access couldn't be setup at this time.  So is it that it's losing connection to the router or what???  

The router is a Belkin N750, by the way...you'd think with it being Belkin it'd be happy.