WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

Just bought 2 and can not connect either.
When I select Connect to WeMo switch it says "Connected. No internet" and the WiFI connections are both saved.

So I can connect my phone to WiFi and have internet or I can my phone to the WeMo but with no internet.

The switch lights are like a blue background that then flashes orange
I've been messing with this going on 3 hours. Sending them back

Allow us to sort this out and give it another try, Ltewdiaz. First of, what's the model number of the WEMO device that you have? Make sure that you're connected to the 2.4 GHz network. Also, are you other wireless devices experiencing the same thing?

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Ltewdiaz wrote:
Just bought 2 and can not connect either.
When I select Connect to WeMo switch it says "Connected. No internet" and the WiFI connections are both saved.

So I can connect my phone to WiFi and have internet or I can my phone to the WeMo but with no internet.

The switch lights are like a blue background that then flashes orange
I've been messing with this going on 3 hours. Sending them back

Your phone is not supposed to have internet when connected to the WeMo.  That is only used to load settings onto the Device.  What is supposed to happen is this:

1. Connect your phone to the WeMo WiFi.

2. WeMo app loads your home WiFi settings to the WeMo.

3. WeMo shuts off its WiFi and connects to your home network.

4. WeMo announces itself on your home network, which your phone has reconnected to since the WeMo is no longer sending a WiFi signal, which completes the pairing.

Problems arise when your WeMo fails to join the network, or if your phone automatically joins the wrong network when the WeMo stops broadcasting its own signal, and never sees the WeMo trying to complete the pairing.

I have had the best success with the following:

1. Enable Remote Access in the WeMo app.

2. Turn off all automatic WiFi joining on your phone.

3. Disconnect from any currently connected WiFi networks on your phone.

4. Plug in the WeMo device, then manually connect to its WiFi on your phone.

5. Run through usual setup process.  This will take a little longer because the final step where the WeMo confirms it has joined your network successfully is being done over your phone’s LTE connection via Belkin’s cloud.

6. Once the device is in the WeMo app, you can turn on automatic WiFi joining again and reconnect to your home network.

Just wanted to let everyone know that (for me) this was an iOS application issue.  i have a WeMo 791 WiFi smart switch, which I was about to throw in the garbage after much frustration of trying to get it to connect to my wifi.  I followed all of the recommendations here and changed the SSID of my 2.4 ghz band to all lower case with no special characters, I also changed my WPA2 encryption key to be short and completely alpha numeric.  Nothing worked when trying to set the switch up using my iPhone.  After grabbing my $30 amazon fire (Android) tablet and downloading the WeMo app, the switch connected to my network on the FIRST TRY!  Talk about ridiculous!  Since I didn't want to leave my WiFi network less secure, I went ahead and changed my SSID and WPA2 encryption key back to a 17 character, alpha numeric AND special characters encryption key.  I then reset the WiFi settings of the WeMo switch using the Android app and tried to connect to my WiFi.  Even with the special character in the SSID and the long alpha numeric encryption key with special characters, it still connected on the first try!  Hopefully this post will keep your WeMo "smart" switch out of the county landfill...

FIX YOUR IOS APP WEMO!!!!

I agree and suspect the same problem with the iOS app.  I bought two sets of 2-pack of Wemo mini, the first 2-pack I was able to pair without problems 2 weeks ago.  Now setting up with newer version of iOS app, the next two Wemo mini's don't work.  I've paired many of the Wemo devices without ever having an issue like this.  Please fix the app asap, I want my Christmas lights on schedule with my Wemo minis!

No it's not an iOS issue. It won't work with my GS8+ either.

I give up. These are crap. I've installed everything internet related you can think of and these done work. Get ready for a crap fest because these are $15 at Target right now. They will be returned like no one's business. BTW I tested two units, two separate Wifis three different devices (beta app as well).

You have a broken product. I smell recall.

Similar issues to just about everyone here. Cannot get it to connect to WiFi (doesn't show any wifi):

• Have the Wemo mini plug.
  • Using an iPhone app for setup
  • Its plugged in next to the router (1 foot away).
  • Router broadcasts both 2.4g and 5g
  • SSID is a mix of capitals, numbers and one dash -
  • Live in a lightly populated are so set to broadcast on 1. 
  • I have multiple things running (perfectly fine) on 2.4g wifi including 4 x Hue lights, TVs, laptops, phones, Echos etc.
  • Managed to get a Hue light working after I was trying to get Wemo plug working (so I don't think its a case of too many connections)

Anyone any suggestions before it gets returned? At this point, I'm thinking its defective...

Hello,

It's been awhile since I did initial setup with Wemo. My home network has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  Initially I had one SSID that was aboth 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.  I enabled it to steer to 5Ghz.  Wemo didn't seem to like that.  So I setup a 2nd SSID with just 2.4Ghz and Wemos have been happy with that.  I just got 2 pack Wemo minis. Costco had great deal. No issue with 2.4Ghz.  I haven't tried them on original SSID though.

Btw, shared SSID with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz seemed to work fine when I was on NetGear NightHawk.  However, since going to Cisco Meraki APs I had the issues above.  Perhaps it doesn't like the steering protocol.

Hope this helps.  (I am neither an employee nor shareholder.  I was frustrated with Wemo initially as well) Best wishes

Cruzen

[ Edited ]

jsn0327 wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that (for me) this was an iOS application issue.  i have a WeMo 791 WiFi smart switch, which I was about to throw in the garbage after much frustration of trying to get it to connect to my wifi.  I followed all of the recommendations here and changed the SSID of my 2.4 ghz band to all lower case with no special characters, I also changed my WPA2 encryption key to be short and completely alpha numeric.  Nothing worked when trying to set the switch up using my iPhone.  After grabbing my $30 amazon fire (Android) tablet and downloading the WeMo app, the switch connected to my network on the FIRST TRY!  Talk about ridiculous!  Since I didn't want to leave my WiFi network less secure, I went ahead and changed my SSID and WPA2 encryption key back to a 17 character, alpha numeric AND special characters encryption key.  I then reset the WiFi settings of the WeMo switch using the Android app and tried to connect to my WiFi.  Even with the special character in the SSID and the long alpha numeric encryption key with special characters, it still connected on the first try!  Hopefully this post will keep your WeMo "smart" switch out of the county landfill...

FIX YOUR IOS APP WEMO!!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  One more Wemo saved from the landfill!

My story mirrors yours almost exactly.  As a last resort I went to the last page of comments to see if anyone had found a solution and found your comment.  I loaded the app on my Samsung tablet and was up in running in 2 minutes!