WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

In case it helps, I couldn't get my new wemo minis to connect to my network. I run a R7000 with merlin, so it's somewhat more complicated and my wifi password has the $ character in it.

Anyway, both minis refused to find my sid/network, even though it was not hidden. What I did was create a guest network, and then after a factory reset, the wemo  minis were able to see both the guest network, and the normal network that I wanted to connect to. After entering the information they both connected , but when I removed the guest network, one of them staid connected, while the other would not work no matter what. I eventually did another factory reset, repeated, washed, rinsed, and then it stuck after I removed the guest network.

I have no idea why adding a second guest network would cause these switches to respond better during setup. All I can say is I'm very dissatisfied and wiill not be buying any more wemos, which is a shame becaues my insite, and my wemo light switch have been fine. I really don't have the time to mess with this , and for God's sake, the wifi standards have been around for a decade now.... Belkin, please hire more QA people.

My new WEMO switch couldn't see or connect to my main home network even when entered manually.  It was only seeing my guest network.  So after hours of frustration and wasted time I disabled my guest network and finally the WEMO switch could see and connect to my main network.

[ Edited ]

In case it helps anyone else, I too had success by creating a guest account and moving the Wemo switch within a few feet of the wireless router (Netgear R8900) during setup. I'm not sure which change did the trick but 50 failed tries with everything else was replaced with Wemo finding my wireless SSIDs (but not the guest account -- weird) fir the first time and connecting. There are some other pieces of bad coding in the software but eventually everything showed up like I had hoped. The second Wemo switch configured itself.

[ Edited ]

Is the special characters in the SSID restriction still true? I have a space in my SSID. But I have probably dozens of devices I would have to update. Dozens that work fine with the SSID as it is. 

Hey kayakor. Please know that, special characters on both the SSID or password is already supported by the Wemo device. You can check this link for further information.

Just make sure that your Wemo devices get an ample signal from your router to be able to function properly. Also, see to it that both the Wemo devices and the handheld device you use to control them is connected on the same 2.4 GHz band of your router. Keep us on the loop and give us feedback after.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

To fix WEMO setup problem, try this
- Check your router's Security Settings. WeMo supports WPA, WPA2, and WEP securities.
- Make sure that your router ’s wireless network (SSID) is set to broadcast or not hidden. Otherwise, your WeMo may have difficulties connecting and maintaining a connection to it.