WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

I eventually figured out that I was having problems because I was using a VPN solution on my phone. By turning off the VPN, I was able to make the magic happen. YMMV.

Bill Horvath
Principal Consultant, Improving

https://improving.com

I had issues connecting the Wemo outlet/plugs even though i have 4 connected and working fine.  the two new ones (not newer than the others, just not connected yet) would not connect to the wifi.  the same wifi the others are connected to.  But, i found what worked for me.  I deleted the Wemo app from my phone, restarted the phone, and reloaded the Wemo app.  once i did that, and went through the process again, the two new wemo devices connected quickly and without incident.  Ta Da! 

Dont know if it will help anyone else but i was running out of avenues.  if you cant get it working either, and all else fails, give it a try.  Smiley Happy

I spent a lot of time with this error and came up with something that works for me every time (I have done 5 consecutive devices this way).  I sent this to Belkin, hoping they'll make a fix.

Here are the steps I take when I add a new Wemo device: 
1) install the Wemo device
2) start the Wemo app
2) connect to the Wemo WiFi and configure the device
3) attempt to connect Wemo to my network - THIS fails
4) uninstall the Wemo app
5) re-install the Wemo app
6) start the Wemo app

At this point, the app finds the new device, asks me to name it and then it is ready to use.

I also cannot get my WEMO plug in unit to connect.  When I go to whe WEMO app it says connected, then when it opens it says not connected to WIFI.  I am not literate in this area, uses of "Firmware", "SSID", "WPA2" and the like leave me hanging.  I need plain text info on how to check problem areas.  My WIFI works on many other and varied types of devices including several tablets, a nook, my cell phone, and ALEXA.  So this setup should not be a problem, also my WEMO plug-in unit is only located about 10-feet from my router.  Any advice appreciated, but in plain english.  Thanks, Herb W.

@Herbw wrote:

I also cannot get my WEMO plug in unit to connect.  When I go to whe WEMO app it says connected, then when it opens it says not connected to WIFI.  I am not literate in this area, uses of "Firmware", "SSID", "WPA2" and the like leave me hanging.  I need plain text info on how to check problem areas.  My WIFI works on many other and varied types of devices including several tablets, a nook, my cell phone, and ALEXA.  So this setup should not be a problem, also my WEMO plug-in unit is only located about 10-feet from my router.  Any advice appreciated, but in plain english.  Thanks, Herb W.

Let's assist you on this matter, Herbw. When you're setting up the Wemo device and lunch the app, did you get any pop-up messages? If so, please attach a screenshot on this thread. We'd also like to verify the status of the LED indictaor. Make sure that you connect to the setup SSID on the Wemo device first before launching the app. And make sure to connect the Wemo device to 2.4GHz network of the router. You may check this link as well for setup reference. Hope this helps. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

My wemo plug worked perfectly all year, including last night, but this morning it wasn't working. The wemo app says it's connected to the wifi but when I ask Alexa to turn the switch on it says wemo is not connected and to check wifi settings.  I tried deleting and reinstalling the app several times.  I ran the new update already 4 times, and when it is done I try again but same problem.  I have tried the reset several times, before and after the updates.  

I too have the same issue I see this post is 4 years old.  Sad the company cannot seem to get it together to resolve this.  I have wasted 4 hours of my life with nothing to show for it.  I have the smart plug mini and will be taking it back to the store.

Not sure why the company has excluded a computer from the setup process.  I have an Iphone 7 and am fairly adept at setting things up. I have tried all the solutions and cannot seem to get past unable to connect to device after putting in my wifi code.  Reset the thing 7-10 times.  Absolutely ridiculous.

JP

@bmedina 

Hi there! Could you give us the model number of the Wemo device? What is the current LED status of the unit? Have you changed some settings on the router/modem before having the setback? If yes, we may need to reconfigure the unit using the new Wi-Fi credentials to get it back working. 

The adjustments below could help us isolating the setback. 

•  As a fresh start, reboot the router/modem.
  •  Try using another handheld device on reconfiguring the unit.
  •  Avoid using special characters on the Wi-Fi credentials.
  •  Make sure that the handheld device you're using is connected on the same 2.4 GHz network where the unit is connected. 
  •  Execute the proper reset procedure and reconfigure the settings. 

If still goes the same way, please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details so our Escalation Engineers could look into this further. 

•  Full name.
  •  Phone number and Location - City or State will do.
  •  Model number of the Wemo device.
  •  Community Username. 
  •  The link to this thread for easy reference.
Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Hi, jp69. May we know the workarounds you have tried in setting up the Wemo Mini Smart Plug? Can you specify which step in the setup process you are having a challenge? Did you get any error message?

Please follow the recommendations of above. Consider the following as well
▪ during the setup process, disable the cellular data connection of the phone
▪ make sure that there are no restrictions set on the router such as MAC address filtering; click here to know more

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

"try changing the SSID od your current WiFi network"

Worked for me after trying so many other restore options. Power failure and switch firmware update caused all my issues. Thanks for the tip and info. 👍🏻