WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

Hi Crus878. Were these WEMO devices holding the latest? What's the current firmware of your WEMO Light Switch and the WEMO Motion? If you haven't updated its firmware yet, I suggest you do, then try checking if your WEMO App will recognize it. Make sure also that your WEMO devices are connected to the same network as your mobile so we can properly isolate this situation.

Please update this thread with the results.

Regards,
Ness - 10931
WEMO Technical Support

I have everything back to working for now. There was an iOS app update for WeMo (1.13.4) while I was away on business so not sure if that played a role but here are my exact steps just prior to it working again:

1.) disable second floor router wireless filter block for these 2 WeMo devices (note last week I tried this same thing along with shutting down this router altogether and it still did not work).

2.) reset light switch and attempt to connect switch-wifi to primary router via iPhone. fails to accept wifi password repeatedly.

3.) moved motion detector to within 5ft of primary router. Connect to motion-wifi via iPhone. Success. Moved motion detector back to original location and it is still working.

4.) since I cannot move the light switch, I boosted the transmit power on my primary router. reset light switch and attempt to connect switch-wifi to primary router via iPhone. 1st attempt Failure, second attempt Success!

5.) re-enable second floor router wireless filter block for these 2 WeMo devices. 

6.) Reboot both routers.

Everything is holding so far. I saw the light-switch take a firmware update after getting everything working again. Not sure why these devices failed suddenly with no apparent changes but am glad to have it fixed. Also, I had several other devices remain connected throughout, one even further away from my primary router (and also blocked from the upstairs router). Maybe something was impeding my wifi signal suddenly or maybe boosting the transmit power had nothing to do with the problem. Is there some way to monitor wifi signal on connected devices? If so I can keep an eye on this moving forward.

If I move switch closer to router it links up. but when i put in location sometimes it links up and sometimes it does not. The times it links up and shows active and I try to turn on the lights blink once and go off and switch tries to link up again.Have installed range extender also belkin product and spent 2hrs on phone to get it working.

Hi Kap1001! How far is it from the router and from the range extender? The signal on the location is possibly unstable and adjusting the wireless channel of the router might help. After that, reboot the router and the WEMO device. Observe the connection of the switch and update this thread with the result.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

I'm trying to wrap my head around why these products just STOP working so much? I just exchanged my third WEMO switch yesterday and out of the brand new box after it was plugged in it immediatly started flashing AMBER. I went through the reset three times until I finally got the amber/blue back and forth flash. Once I attached to it via wifi on my phone, the app wouldn't connect to it. For over a minute the app kept saying "trying to attach". (latest version of the app) eventually it gave up, asked for the password to my router which I entered, it came back and said password incorrect.( which it wasn't).

I really...REALLY want to like these products but the constant dropping is just annoying. My wall switch stopped working as well so I have to go through the reset on that.

What a pain in the butt.

I have been using the Wemo switches with no issue, and a recent firmware update took place on two of my switches and I cannot get them to connect to the network through my phone.  I have tried to reset them.  They are close to my router.  My other one's that have not updated the firmware still work.

The point where I have a problem is:

1)  I plug them in and reset them.

2)  The lights flash amber and blue.

3)  I go to my phone settings and scan on wifi.

4)  I see the Wemo device.

5)  I tell it to connect, and it indicates it is connecting then is reads saved.  It never reads, "Connected"

6)  I go to the Wemo App and nothing occurs. 

Note:  I am only 5 feet from my router, which gets a great signal throughout my home.  All of my other WEMO switches work.  I have also tried it on my wife's phone and the same thing occurs.

Please help.  I have two high dollar switches that are of no value at this point.  It is very disappointing.  I was planning to purchase more for around the home, but not till I get this figured out.

Randy

Expert

@dpotesta48. The unstable connection may also be caused by the kind of setup you have in your network. The placement of your wireless devices could also be a key to having a good wireless connection with the WEMO Switch. During the setup, do not place the WEMO unit right next to the router because the 18-inch radius around the router is a wireless dead zone. Ensure that the distance between the router and the wireless devices is three (3) meters apart as this is the area with the best signal strength. Also, make sure the firmware of the router is up to date. For further assistance, you may email us at WEMOCares@wemo.com. Make sure to include your contact details along with the link to this community post.

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

WEMO Technical Support 

Expert

@leemo. Can you please send us the complete firmware description of the current firmware installed on your WEMO Switch? We'd like to make sure that the WEMO updated the correct firmware. It would also help to restart your smart device, wait for 5 minutes before turning it back on again, then try to setup the WEMO Switch one more time. 

Regards, 

Ethel_10700
WEMO Technical Support 

WEMO Maker Inventor

ethel_s wrote:

@dpotesta48. The unstable connection may also be caused by the kind of setup you have in your network. The placement of your wireless devices could also be a key to having a good wireless connection with the WEMO Switch. During the setup, do not place the WEMO unit right next to the router because the 18-inch radius around the router is a wireless dead zone. Ensure that the distance between the router and the wireless devices is three (3) meters apart as this is the area with the best signal strength. Also, make sure the firmware of the router is up to date. For further assistance, you may email us at WEMOCares@wemo.com. Make sure to include your contact details along with the link to this community post.

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

WEMO Technical Support 

Really Junlyn (aka Ethel)? You do yourself, your company, and most importantly your customers a HUGE disservice when you spread disinformation rather than admitting when there is a firmware, app, or hardware problem with wemo.

Do you have a technical reference for this outlandish claim?  My measurements have shown the signal to be very strong when WITHIN 3 meters of a number of wifi routers, and the signals STRONGEST within 18" of them.  I could find no online document to support your claim.

I hope you realize that most users, when setting up their wemos, will be standing in FRONT of the wemo with their phone or tablet in their hands.  The phone/tablet can connect to their wifi from there.  Yet the wemo cannot?  Why do you all continue to insist that, despite all other wifi devices on the network working in what you claim must be a wifi area with many dead zones or an incredible amount of interference from other signals, that  the problem lies with the customer's wifi environment and not the wemo design?

Pushing customers off of the community into private support to go through the same steps you publish here fools no one. Wasting many a customer's time just to avoid admitting the problem is horribly callous.

Expert

@dpotesta48. I'd like to correct myself. The correct email address would be WEMOCares@belkin.com. 

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

WEMO Technical Support