WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
EK2

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

Why should we have to do all this for a brand new unit out of the box!!  I have been trying to set this up for over an hour now..  

@EK2
When setting up a new WEMO device, it is recommended that you reset the unit first before proceeding with the setup. Which WEMO model do you have?

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support

I found a solution to the connectivity problem. I noticed that all the posts about this were from the last 2 years or so. It seems that it worked before that. I decided to try an older smartphone I had. Bingo, it worked. That lead me to believe that problem is with the newer phones somehow conflicting with the WeMo app. Once I set up everything on my older phone I reinstalled the WeMo app on my new phone and it recognized my lightbulbs. I hope this helps!!!

What worked for me was:

1.  I factory reset my Wemo devices.
2.  I reset my router password (even though other devices could connect just fine).
3.  I connected to my Wemo device (once with an IOS device, once with an Android device)
4.  Wemo was then able to conect to my wireless network (and did not prompt for a bad password).  
5.  Since I wanted to use the original router password, I removed my Wemo devices again.
6.  I reset my router password back to the original password.
7.  I factory reset my Wemo devices.
8.  I reconnected to my Wemo devices and was able to rejoin them again without any issues.

I am confident the Wemo firmware was not at fault, nor was the Wemo device.  Changing my router password, then chaning it back seemed to fix my issue.

I have had a couple of WeMo switches for a while (2-3 years). Originaly I set them up easily and all was fine. Then I didn't need them and have hjust recently been trying to get them going again. I am having a completely frustrating time restting the switches, connecting to their Wifi signal and doing the setup but it seems the WeMos are unable to join my WiFi network so I can't complete the process. The signal strength of the WiFi is fine, I have adjusted the router to just do b/g WiFi, I have the IOS App version 1.14 on my iPhone 6S and iPad Pro but it just won't work anymore.

I have no idea what firmware version the switches have as I can't get that far to check!

I have been through this thread and tried pretty much everything so without some new suggestions these two WeMos will be going in the bin.

Anyone from Belkin or other users with anything else I might try? I don't have any suitable old devices / old IOS levels not anything Android to experiment with by the way.

John

Expert

@johndowne

WEMO works great with wireless N router so set it to Wireless N only. Make sure that the WEMO app (uninstall then reinstall the app) and the firmware of the WEMO switches are up to date. Reset your WEMO to factory defaults then configure it again. Below are helpful TS steps:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8035
http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=80142
http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=27353

Should you need further assistance, feel free to email us at WEMOCares@belkin.com with your contact details and the link to this community post/username for reference.

Chiqui-17359
WEMO Technical Support

I'm a FIOS customer and to get my WeMo to connect I had to edit the router settings and enable compatability mode. Previously I was using 802.11n only.

Hi My problem seems a little different, when I connect the plug to wifi using my iPhone, I am no longer connected to my router, for some reason, then I go to connect to my wifi router, and the plug is no longer connected, it seems that the wifi router and the wemo plug should be connected directly but I feel like without my phone it is not working, and either I have my phone connected to my router or the well outlet? Does not make sense to me, what am I missing?

Hi, LeftbankwineYour phone has to be connected to the WEMO SSID to setup the device. Then, open the app and follow the on-screen instructions. The app will ask you to select your wireless network and input the password so that the device will be connected to the router. After successfully setting it up, you can reconnect the phone to your router and should be able to control the device. Here's an article for your reference.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

I installed a new TPLink router and had issues with reconneting my wemo light switch.  Keep asking for the network password.  Kept trying it but would not connect.  After reading this post I changed the password to something else then back to the original and the light switch connected just fine.  WTH.....  Anyway, glad it is working again.