WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo can't connect after power outage

Hi,

I own a WeMo light switch and a WeMo switch that worked fine up until a couple weeks ago when we had a power outage. After the power outage, I was unable to see either of my devices on my wifi network. I then moved on to resetting the devices according to the Belkin site. They still didn't connect, saying "Could not connect to [network name]" as if the credentials were wrong. The credentials definitely weren't wrong, and the few other devices connected to the router were all working fine. I tried again and again, as well as reinstalling the app and shutting the power off at the breaker (to the light switch). I even tried a different router, this time closer to the devices. Nothing has worked. Any ideas?
Expert

Re: WeMo can't connect after power outage

The Wemo devices should reconnect to the network once they are powered On again, assuming that there are no changes to the wireless network after the power loss. Can you verify if the firmware of your Wemo Light Switch is up to date?

Fate – 21474
WeMo Technical Support

Is there some way to check the firmware without being able to connect to them?

WEMO Maker Inventor

No.  Best to ignore that suggestion, it's misguided.

If your wemos are blinking orange at the end of the connection step you need to try it again.  Most likely they're not blinking (they probably weren't after your power outage either) and they've connected to your router properly.  In most cases the problem is that your phone has reconnected to your 5GHz SSID and are not able to see your wemos.  Try connecting to the 2.4GHz SSID instead.  

Fate_R really should know this.   If you can tell belkin where you found the "reset your wemo" instructions they *might* fix them - 'cause unless the wemos are blinking that's bad advice too.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the WeMos were blinking after the power outage, and still are. I also have my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks named differently. Just to make sure, I temporarily disabled my 5 GHz band on my router, "forget" all networks on my phone, and started from scratch with the WeMo setup - no dice. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

If the wemos won't stop blinking then you probably need to call belkin directly 'cause there's nothing otherwise odd that I can see if you're following the instructions, sorry.

[ Edited ]

Have you tried turning down your 2.4Ghz channel bandwidth to 20Mhz? I recently had a Frontier Fios Wifi router that was locked down to 40Mhz and while I could initially get Wemo's connect if it was power cycled they would make short attempts to reconnect and then drop. I would have to factory reset them to get them to reconnect. I've since moved those off onto another one of my Asus routers at 20Mhz and working fine.

Expert

sheaandrew wrote:

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately the WeMos were blinking after the power outage, and still are. I also have my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks named differently. Just to make sure, I temporarily disabled my 5 GHz band on my router, "forget" all networks on my phone, and started from scratch with the WeMo setup - no dice. 

We would like to have someone further check on this. Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details:

• Phone number 
Fate – 21474
WeMo Technical Support

I've had two power outages in the past two weeks and both times all 4 of my Wemo devices (2x switch, 1x maker & 1x light switch) have lost their Wi-Fi settings completely

Both times I've had to reset them and start again!

It's only since the latest firmware upgrade, prior to that they never lost their settings - we have a lot of very brief outages, I know this because my server ups records them.

[ Edited ]

Btw, I'm pretty sure this happened with an earlier version of the WEMO firmware around a year ago and was fixed in a update.

FWIW, my Wifi has a 2.4Ghz only SSID and my Wemo's all have static IP's assigned in my router. None of my other IoT etc devices had any problems recovering from my 2 power outages, just my Wemo's!

Also my Comms gear is all on UPS so it doesnt drop out when the power does, only my 4 Wemo devices have lost their settings, my Nest's etc are all fine.