WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert

Re: WeMo can't connect after power outage

@dJOS

We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers take a closer look at your case. Please send us your contact details (Full name / Phone number / Location) at WemoCares@belkin.com for us to create a case and have it escalated to them. Be sure to include your community username and the link to this post for reference.

Allen-18085
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Harvey_P wrote:

@dJOS

We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers take a closer look at your case. Please send us your contact details (Full name / Phone number / Location) at WemoCares@belkin.com for us to create a case and have it escalated to them. Be sure to include your community username and the link to this post for reference.

Sure thing, however the power loss events that kill the wemo WiFi settings are very short duration - here are my UPS logs from the 4th and 2nd of this month that resulted in the settings being lost:

4/1/17 	02:20:32 	Power Restored 
4/1/17 	02:20:25 	Power Failed 
4/1/17 	00:20:02 	Power Restored 
4/1/17 	00:19:55 	Power Failed 

2/27/17 	21:40:10 	Power Restored 
2/27/17 	21:40:04 	Power Failed 
2/24/17 	06:15:23 	Power Restored 
2/24/17 	06:15:17 	Power Failed 
2/21/17 	23:49:02 	Power Restored 
2/21/17 	23:48:55 	Power Failed 

As you can see, they are multiple short losses of less than 20 seconds each and this is what causes the loss. In my experience, any power loss greater than 1 minute which is on its own (eg a single event only) does not cause the Wifi settings to vanish. 

This happens to all 4 of my WeMo's on both occoasins - unfortunately where I live these events are common (I'm forever re-setting the Microwave clock!), hence the UPS's for my comms and server gear. 

Btw, we have an 8 hour scheduled power outage today (power company doing some area maintenance) so it'll be interesting to see what happens - I'd be surprised if my Wemo's have an issue on this occasion.

dJOS wrote:
Btw, we have an 8 hour scheduled power outage today (power company doing some area maintenance) so it'll be interesting to see what happens - I'd be surprised if my Wemo's have an issue on this occasion.

So I was wrong, duration of the outage means nothing, we had a 10 hour continuous planned outage and our WeMo's have lost their Wifi settings again!

5/4/17 	18:10:08 	Communication Established 
5/4/17 	18:09:09 	Monitoring Started 
5/4/17 	08:40:19 	Monitoring Stopped 
5/4/17 	08:39:19 	Shutdown process started 
5/4/17 	08:38:18 	Power Failed 

Not impressed!  Smiley Mad

Bilim35CI7 wrote:

Have you tried turning down your 2.4Ghz channel bandwidth to 20Mhz? I recently had a Frontier Fios Wifi router that was locked down to 40Mhz and while I could initially get Wemo's connect if it was power cycled they would make short attempts to reconnect and then drop. I would have to factory reset them to get them to reconnect. I've since moved those off onto another one of my Asus routers at 20Mhz and working fine.

OK, before I reset everything... again, I switched my 2.4Ghz setings to 20/40Mhz (from 40Mhz fixed) and voila, all the Wemo's came back online by themselves!

I'd not had this problem till the latest FW update so is this a new bug? Will setup on 40Mhz but wont reconnect after a power outage?

Hmm - I have mine set to 20/40 and still nothing. 

sheaandrew wrote:

Hmm - I have mine set to 20/40 and still nothing. 

Did you reboot your router? Most wont apply these sort of changes immediately - mine only does because Im running custom router firmware.

So Wemo, when are you going to fix the lack of pure 40Mhz 2.4Ghz support?

I did a test the other day and it's still a problem! 

Every single time the power goes out I have to reset these freaking things. Out of everything Belkin I've bought these are the worst devices by far. Doesn't matter if firmware is up to date you're continually having to screw around with them to get them running again. Wanted to use them for lamps and a power bar but no more. I'm tossing them out, already have a Phillips Hue hub that's no issues setting up or running after the power goes out. As for the power bar? Screw it I'll do it the old fashion way. Warning everyone I know away from this product...

@wrote:

So Wemo, when are you going to fix the lack of pure 40Mhz 2.4Ghz support?

I did a test the other day and it's still a problem! 

Seriously guy's, this is pathetic, please fix it!!! 

I did some testing with the latest FW and I STILL CAN'T use 40Mhz only as WeMo devices wont reconnect after a power outage!!!!!

*FacePalm*