WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: WeMo can't connect after power outage

The first thing to check is whether the wemos are really dropping their wifi connection (they begin flashing and never recover) or it's the app that's getting confused.  If they continue flashing there's something wrong with them - return them to belkin for repair/replacement.  If it's the app or the firmware/app connection try using an aftermarket app instead.  Generally the devices themselves are reasonably reliable.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

@MikeP wrote:

The first thing to check is whether the wemos are really dropping their wifi connection (they begin flashing and never recover) or it's the app that's getting confused.  If they continue flashing there's something wrong with them - return them to belkin for repair/replacement.  If it's the app or the firmware/app connection try using an aftermarket app instead.  Generally the devices themselves are reasonably reliable.

Mike, this is related to poor 40Mhz handling - the problem is solved by setting your Wifi to 20/40Mhz auto mode.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thanks, though I'm not the one that's having the problem.  And it doesn't explain the catydid's issue - if it's related to the channel width then the wemos wouldn't connect at all rather than refuse to connect again after a power outage.  In any case, if the wemo wifi LED is not flashing then the wemo HAS connected to the network - the problem is in the app - and this is the more likely case.  Most of these problems are caused by the wemo connecting to the 2.4GHz band and the app connecting to the 5GHz band with the same SSID name - the app expects to see them but is unable to find the wemos across bands.

Setting the 2.4GHz channel width to 20Mz (rather than auto) can result in a more stable connection to the wemos and they typically don't use much bandwidth so it's a reasonable compromise.  Most modern devices will be connected to the 5GHz band and won't be impacted.

Mike

Auto in my router provides 20 & 40 Mhz at the same time.

My wemo devices would not connect to wifi after a power outage and would sit there flashing.

Btw the wemo devices would setup on 40 Mhz but would fall to reconnect if power was interrupted. This was 100% reproducible.

WEMO Maker Inventor

@dJOS wrote:
Btw the wemo devices would setup on 40 Mhz but would fall to reconnect if power was interrupted. This was 100% reproducible.

Maybe a bug in the router?  It should auto adjust according to the needs of the device. 

On my older router I used 20MHz and it did work better when I did so, I suspect it was buggy.  On my newer router I can leave it on auto - with about dozen wemos (and another bunch of competitor 2.4GHz wifi devices) that reconnect with no trouble if they're power cycled or there's a power outage.  Except for the wemo mini - those seem to have hardware related wifi problems.

Mike

@MikeP wrote:

@dJOS wrote:

Maybe a bug in the router?  It should auto adjust according to the needs of the device. 

On my older router I used 20MHz and it did work better when I did so, I suspect it was buggy.  On my newer router I can leave it on auto - with about dozen wemos (and another bunch of competitor 2.4GHz wifi devices) that reconnect with no trouble if they're power cycled or there's a power outage.  Except for the wemo mini - those seem to have hardware related wifi problems.

Nope, I can reproduce it with both my Netgear R7000 running XWRT-Votex FW and a POS ISP provided stock TP-Link WiFI-N only router - the bug is in the Wemo's.

Anyway, I've ditched everything except my Wemo Light Switch ... and it's going too shortly. 

[ Edited ]

@Bilim35CI7 wrote:

Leave on 20Mhz only.

That would limit the bandwidth available to my streaming devices that cant get a decent 5Ghz connection - 5Ghz is useless once you've got a floor and 2 walls in the way!

Anyway, all my home automation gear is being moved to Z-Wave plus devices (nest deivices and Security cameras excluded) which means there will be less devices fighting for precious WiFi bandwidth. 

[ Edited ]

If I leave on 20 MHz only no problems... If I have devices with 5Ghz issues I use repeaters for those.  At this point my 2.4 is the IOT band