WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo with Mesh Networks

I have a few different WeMo Plugs that I haven't used in a while. They used to be very solid.

I recent'y switched to a Linksys Velop Mesh Network and added the WeMo devices back into the mix, and they are no longer stable, i.e. I am loosing connectivity and they go "offline".

It's not a network range issue -- have tested in multiple locations, and know that there is good signal in all of them.

Any others have experience with mesh networks and WeMo, or might this be something about a recent firmware update -- saw some other threads on this.

Re: WeMo with Mesh Networks

[ Edited ]

Hi, georgekhan. The Wemo devices are compatible with 2.4 GHz network only. It is possible that the mesh system is broadcasting only one SSID for all its bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz if its dual-band). The Wemo devices may not be able to distinguish the difference. We recommend that you give a unique SSID for the 2.4 GHz band and reconfigure the Wemo devices. Hope this helps.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

No, that's wrong.  The wemos cannot SEE the 5GHz band and they will only connect to the 2.4GHz band.  The *wemos* wouldn't be confused, but the engineering team is...  The problem is that your APP can't find the wemos if the phone/tablet is connected to the 5GHz band.  It's the phone/APP that needs to be forced onto the 2.4GHz band.

And if a separate 2.4GHz SSID is used for the wemos when the customer connects their phone to their 5GHz SSID (which would be preferred) the app will now consider itself as roaming.  So to do something as simple as turning on the lights it'll need to go out through the internet to your cloud and back to the house.  That's just dumb.

Fix your support script.  And fix your app.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

Wemo expects access to a 2.4Ghz network.  My current. UniFi environment allows for band steering, which directs any device capable of 5Ghz to that band and the rest to 2.4Ghz. Alternatively does Velop allow for a 2.4Ghz-only network. 

This is terrible news.  When will this be fixed !!?!!

My old Wemos used to work great.  Now I can’t set up the new ones I just purchased because I have an Orbi mesh network now.

Highlighted

I was having the same issues with my wemo devices when using the BT whole home mesh network.

What I did was unplug all the other mesh access point devices except for one (in my case is it the master one which is directly connected to the internet).

Reset and setup all my wemo devices (I have wemo switches and a wemo link). I moved some of them closer to my one remaining mesh access point to get the signal. Once setup again they all constantly appeared in the app and worked flawlessly. I then moved the wemo devices back into situ before reconnecting the other mesh access points. It seemed to fix the issue. But if it’s temporary or not only time will tell.

I was at my wits end, if this doesn’t work then I’ll probably swap them out for an alternate product.

Ironiclly when I was having problems, the “report this issue” option via the wemo app couldn’t even send my support message to Belkin. Talk about insult to injury.