WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo App Crashes During Wemo Mini Setup (App v.1.18.1)

App has now crashed 3 times during setup for Wemo Mini. Crashes right after inputing Wifi password information. 

I have already tried reinstalling the app and reseting the switch to factory. Still the same behavior. 

I'm on the latest version of iOS (v11.0.2)

Please advise before I return this product. 

Re: Wemo App Crashes During Wemo Mini Setup (App v.1.18.1)

Hi dldereklee, have you tried setting it up on another handheld device and check if you're still getting the same setback? What's the App version?

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted

Hello

I seem to be having the same problem for the past 2 weeks!  The rules that I set up seem no longer to be working.  When I enable them they disable themselves.  I have deleted them and created new ones only for them to somehow disappear with the old ones still there.

I have reset the plug and the bulbs but still I am unable to get the rules to work.

Any ideas?

Hi Marlow, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WEMO App? Have you also tried setting it up on another handheld device and check if you're still experiencing the same thing? Make sure that your phone is on its latest version.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Hello,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, I have reset the plug, I have reset all the bulbs no luck!! As I said in my previous post I do not have another handset.

My phone is on the latest version, and when I spoke to your support they confirmed that all was up to date.

This looks like a common problem with others which leads me to believe that there is a problem with the App.

Why has this happened now?   I was using the same phone when it was all working!

Thank you

Have you tried standing on your head during set-up? 

I just purchased 5 mini plugs and ALL 5 have the same exact issue as you and many more. I've installed / deleted / re-installed the app many times. I reset all the switches many times. Nothing works. The app crashes during install after getting to a certain point and then it gets stuck.  It's the app and they don't care. I'm returning all 5 as soon as I am free. Horrible product via this app version.

WEMO Maker Inventor

When oh when will Belkin unlock the setup for 3rd party developers so that it can be done properly?

Hello, Everyone,

We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers check on your cases further, please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com with the link to this thread, your username, and your contact details so we can have them assist you.

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

Same problem here, and I'm an IT professional. Your app is busted.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Princes_C wrote:

Hello, Everyone,

We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers check on your cases further, please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com with the link to this thread, your username, and your contact details so we can have them assist you.

I dunno, to me this seems insulting.  Are you asking all of these folks to waste their time contacting support because you think they're using the app wrong and that's why it's crashing? Apps shouldn't crash.  It's called a defect, not user error.

It might be more effective and respectful of customers' time if you'd instead educate your developers on how to write an app that doesn't crash, and then have them fix it.  Surely you have enough information by now with the myriad of crash and failure reports to know there's a problem.

Or are you planning to coach customers around the problem in secret?  Again, it'd be more effective, respectful, and reach a broader audience to simply post the workaround here and/or in a sticky post or a support FAQ.  It would surely save your customers a lot of frustration and gain you some trust points.  Rough guess, for every complaint here you've probably got 100 to 1000 customers who don't post, and many (most?) of those will return the devices if it's their first experience.

But I'm preaching to deaf ears again Smiley Sad.  How about you open the setup API to 3rd party developers if you can't get it right?  Or at least apologize and promise to do better.