WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Mini hell

[ Edited ]

The more I read here, the more confused I become. I have four (4) WEMO mini swithces. I had to call support to finally get them all connected to my WiFi. It took two days of conversation to connect all 4 to the system.

I have the WEMO app on both a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Galaxy Tab A.

When I use the S7, the app has some dificulty recognizing all 4 Minis. I press the refresh button and sometimes it will discover all 4, sometimes not.

When I use the Tab, the app mostly finds all 4 Minis.

Once the S7 or the Tab finds the 4 Minis, I can turn each of them on and off using the Devices section.

I have tried to enable only one rule. Turn all 4 Minis on at sundown and off at 10:30 PM. The app says the rule is connected. But, when I check the app after sunset not all the Minis have been turned on. Usually only one is turned on. I have tried adding all Minis to the rule at once. And, I have triedadding each Mini to the rule individually.

All I want is for my rule (named Vacation) to work consistantly so I can go on vacation feeling comfortable it will work.

I am now ready for the barage of questions and suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help.

Re: Wemo Mini hell

The rules engine is a known fustercluck. Since you’re an Android user, I highly recommend a product on the Play Store written by MikeP, one of the members here. It is called AutomationManager and it blows the pants off the native WeMo app.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

OK, it seems to work quite well. However the learning curve is a bit extensive. I am a newbie and not familiar with IFTT or an programming. I made a simple rule turns the WEMO Minis on/off in a schedule that was to work every night of the week. It worked one night but not the next. Is there a website were I can learn more?

WEMO Maker Inventor

There is a site for AutomationManager, the link is in my signature below.  For questions/help you can ask here, or there's a link on my site and in the app under help->more.

If you mean you created an OnSchedule type rule that should be running every night (IFTTT is not needed for this) there can be a few reasons it fails to run - usually it will be the minis couldn't be found on the network, but sometimes it's that the android OS needs to be configured to allow the AM Server to run - it needs to be exempted from any task killer. 

The easiest way for me to help to open the AM Server window, you'll see an "eye" icon.  Touch it and then the "send" button to send me the log.  A short description of the problem and what time it should have worked helps me sort it more easily.

Well, after a bidt of trial and error and initial aid from Mike P, I have my basic system working. I have purchased (as suggested) a cheap andsroid phone to act as the server. I'll elt everyone know how that turns out when it arrives.

I have only one criticism. I say "initial" above because my first two emails were responded to immediately. Being the old-man (75) neophite, I made some observations and asked more questons abou how to use this app and have been waiting quite some time for the response. The learning curve is quite steep for those who are not educated in the finer arts of simple programming. So, if you fall into that category and do not have the time or patience to self-educate, think hard about usingc this app.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Shoot, sorry, I must have missed your email, I can't find it in my inbox.  If you can resend I'll have a look.  I do try to respond within 24hrs, so anyone that doesn't hear from me within 48 may want to resend.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Found them in my online spam folder (vs my local account spam folder).  It's quite rare anything ends up there so I don't check it very often.  Sorry about that Smiley Sad. I've send responses, hopefully that helps you progress further.

I think I just moved from hell to heaven in a few seconds. I can understand the spam thing and was just a bit frustrated earlier.

It wasnt as easy to find an android phone for around $20.00. But, after a bit of searching I found a SIMPLE Mobile - ZTE Majesty Pro 4G LTE with 8GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone - Black at Best Buy. I had to order it to be delivered to the local store and it is scheduled to arrive Thursday.

Since Mike P's full education has made things work so well, I am almost giddyh about setting up the phone.