WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch: Cannot get past "Edit the Icon" set up step

[ Edited ]

I have two Wemo switches that I have attempted to reset but I continue to encounter the same problem with each one.  I successfully connect to the Wemo Switch Wifi signal but I cannot get past the "Personalize" menu.  The error I get each time is "Cannot edit the icon. Please try again."  This error occurs for every Device Icon option I select, whether it's Take Photo, Choose Existing Photo or Restore Default Icon.  Since this menu must be completed before I can complete the device set up, I am essentially stuck at this point and not able to continue.  Anyone else encounter this problem and if so, did you solve it?

Re: Wemo Switch: Cannot edit the icon

I have encountered that same error before using my iPhone5. I tried using another handheld device (Samsung s5) and haven't encountered that. So what I did, I uninstalled the WeMo app on my iPhone then edit my WeMo settings using my android. Reinstalled the WeMo app on my iPhone, then it worked fine since then. Make sure as well that you have the latest firmware.

Thanks purplechix.  Unfortunately we are an all-iOS household.  I've attempted the set up with an iPhone 5s and my wife with an iPhone 6.  This may be a problem with how the latest iOS (8.1) interacts with the Wemo firmware since it was working with the older iOS 8.0 (Apple does not make it easy to revert to an older OS.)  The problem is occuring in the initial stages as we try to set up the Wemo switch.  Since we can't get past the Personalize step, we can't communicate with the switch and cannot update the firmware.  If it's a firmware problem we are in a Catch 22.  

Has anyone else successfully set up a Wemo switch using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) running iOS 8.1?

I think it'd be best if you'll report it to the Belkin Support team. I once called them and they said that they can be reached 24/7. This is the official hotline, 800 223 5546.

Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

When this happens is it only when you try to set a custom icon?  Are you able to go through without setting a custom name or icon and then change it later?

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

Re: Wemo Switch: Cannot get past "Edit the Icon" set up step

I also had the same issue.  Ever since the new update for Applie 8.1 software I am unable to adjust my WEMO device.  I also tried to deleted the device off my iphone and still no luck.  I hope Belkin is able to fix this issue soon.

[ Edited ]

@k030574, after you updated your iOS version to 8.1, have you tried to uninstall the App? If you haven't, try it. It worked on mine. I haven't tried changing my icon. I'll try it now and check if I have the same result.

Update: 

Hey guys! So I updated my iOS version to 8.1 (using an iPod Touch) just to know if it's an iOS issue. I Also tried to reset my WeMo switch F7C027fc and reinstalled the App. The setup was successful and changing the the icon also works. I tried to take a photo, choose existing photo, and bringing it back to the original icon. All were successful. 

Model: F7C027fc

WeMo App version: 9.1

Firmware: WeMo_US_2.00.7166.PVT

iOS: 8.1 

@k030574, make sure that your router's security is set to WPA2 only, not mixed. Also, make sure that you don't have any other active apps running in the background while doing the installation. 

My iPhone had this problem. Tried on my iPad and everything worked as expected. Then I restarted my iPhone. Now it is working here too.

I'll try this too. Thanks for sharing this with us all! :-)