WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo Switch On During Night If Nest Away

When my Nest thermostat goes into away mode, and it's night time, I want my Wemo switch to turn on, so that a light is on when I'm not home.

When my Nest thermostat goes into home mode, regardless of day or night, I want my Wemo switch to turn off.

I'm struggling to find the right rule configurations to achieve the above. I can configure rules that I think will work, trigger them by manually setting my Nest thermostat to away or home, and they work as expected, turning my Wemo switch, and therefore my light on and off. But, if I let the rules run automatically they don't net the desired outcome. If I leave during the day, return at night, well after dark, and check the state of the light from the street or from the app, I find that the light isn't on, despite Nest being away.

How do I achieve the desired outcome?

Community Manager

Re: Wemo Switch On During Night If Nest Away

If you are referring to the Nest's auto-away mode it won't work with Wemo that way.  You will manually have to set the Nest to home or away for the home/away to function.

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Support

My Nest goes into and out of Away mode, automatically, based on the location of my phone, and I'm not having any trouble with that.  I configured the below WeMo rule, to turn on my Office Switch, if Nest is in Away mode, and it's nighttime.  The rule works perfectly if Nest goes into Away mode after sunset.  However, if Nest goes into Away mode during the day, and stays in Away mode into the night (in other words I leave during the day, and don't return until well after dark), the rule never triggers, and my Office Switch never turns on.  Shouldn't the rule be always checking both the state of Nest and the time of day?  Or, am I misunderstanding how it should work?  Or, do I not have it configured correctly?  How do I achieve the desired goal of having my Switch turn on when Nest is set to Away and it's after sunset?

Screenshot_20170129-000811.png

Highlighted
Community Manager

karine wrote:

My Nest goes into and out of Away mode, automatically, based on the location of my phone, and I'm not having any trouble with that.  I configured the below WeMo rule, to turn on my Office Switch, if Nest is in Away mode, and it's nighttime.  The rule works perfectly if Nest goes into Away mode after sunset.  However, if Nest goes into Away mode during the day, and stays in Away mode into the night (in other words I leave during the day, and don't return until well after dark), the rule never triggers, and my Office Switch never turns on.  Shouldn't the rule be always checking both the state of Nest and the time of day?  Or, am I misunderstanding how it should work?  Or, do I not have it configured correctly?  How do I achieve the desired goal of having my Switch turn on when Nest is set to Away and it's after sunset?

HI Karine,

It should work as long as you set the Home and Away mode manually.  If you allow your Nest Thermostat to turn itself to Home or Away automatically that is the part that Wemo does not support.

Regards,

Robert s.

Wemo Support

That is absolutely ubsurd!  The whole beauty of the Nest system is that it automaticlaly goes into and out of Away mode.  If WeMo integrates with Nest, then WeMo should absolutely be made to work with Nest's auto-Away mode.  It's ubsurd that I should have to manually set my system to Away in order for WeMo's integration to work correctly.

Please, please raise this as both a formal complaint and a formal request to correct this functionality as soon as possible.  WeMo needs to be capable of recognizing and working with Nest's auto-Away mode.

Thanks!

Has auto away triggering a wemo switch to turn on after dark been sorted yet?

Hi, tusker. Are you experiencing the same setbacks with your Wemo Switch? Mind telling us more so we can look into it better.

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support