WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
DE1
Accepted Solution

Wemo Switch

So I reset the switch and start from scratch.

I find the switch under WIFI menu on my edge 7 and select it.

Start up the Wemo app and it finds the switch.  Then it checks Cellular.  Then it tries to connect to my home WIFI.

At that exact moment the switch dissappears from the wifi list (watching on my gf's iphone).  The app hangs for a while tring to connect to my homes wifi and then says that the device cannot be found and I should find it on the AP list and try again. 

From this point on the switch has vanished and cannot be seen on any device's WIFI menu.  All lights are off on the switch.

I have tried turning off location services, putting my phone into airplane mode, using my gf's iphone 6,  uninstalling the app and starting from scratch.  Everytime the switch dissapears at the same point during installation and cannot be seen again on WIFI until it is reset.

Any help would be great.  This thing is getting returned tomorrow if I can't make it work.  

Re: Wemo Switch

I suggest that you perform another factory reset. Then, uninstall and reinstall the app. Make sure that cellular data is not on during the installation. If the app still could not detect the device, restart your phone, unplug and replug the WEMO Switch. If you have the light switch, press the restart button for a second.

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

@Bluee0510 I'm curious to know why you folks affiliated with Belkin are back to not marking your posts as such.  Care to comment?

If the WeMo itself is no longer flashing and it's wifi signal disappears, I believe that definitely confirms the WeMo has connected to the router/wifi and is operating properly.

Another factory reset would be a waste of time and might even cause more issues.

Of course the problem is with the app.  That's a pretty full list of instructions to try to recover from it's failure.  While you might no longer be admitting your affiliation to belkin at least your support process hasn't changed.

I think a better course of action might be:

1. Does the WeMo turn off and on with the manual switch?
  2. Does it switch power the load properly?
  3. Can you find it in your router's "connected devices" list?  (optional, but handy if you know how to look)

Probably all of those work, if not you may need to return/exchange the switch.

My guess would be the phone is automatically reconnecting to your router's 5.0GHz WiFi band afterward and is unable to see your newly configured/connected Wemo.  Ideally you'll change your wifi to use separate SSIDs for each band and force your phone to the 2.4GHz wifi band until you can enable remote access for the Wemo.  If you cannot use separate SSIDs you may need to disable the router's 5.0GHz band temporarily to finish setup.

DE1

MikeP wrote:

If the WeMo itself is no longer flashing and it's wifi signal disappears, I believe that definitely confirms the WeMo has connected to the router/wifi and is operating properly.

The WeMo has no light on at all after setup "fails".

MikeP wrote:

I think a better course of action might be:

1. Does the WeMo turn off and on with the manual switch?
  2. Does it switch power the load properly?
  3. Can you find it in your router's "connected devices" list?  (optional, but handy if you know how to look)

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure how to do this, is it under my router's settings?

MikeP wrote:

My guess would be the phone is automatically reconnecting to your router's 5.0GHz WiFi band afterward and is unable to see your newly configured/connected Wemo.  Ideally you'll change your wifi to use separate SSIDs for each band and force your phone to the 2.4GHz wifi band until you can enable remote access for the Wemo.  If you cannot use separate SSIDs you may need to disable the router's 5.0GHz band temporarily to finish setup.

Sorry I'm a bit of a luddite, not sure what you mean by seperate SSIDs.  I'll try going into my router and seeing if I can force it down to 2.4.  If I do that and it sets up correctly then I need to enable remote access?  What does that do? Will I have control over celular only? 

DE1

Bluee0510 wrote:

I suggest that you perform another factory reset. Then, uninstall and reinstall the app. Make sure that cellular data is not on during the installation. If the app still could not detect the device, restart your phone, unplug and replug the WEMO Switch. If you have the light switch, press the restart button for a second.

Thanks for the non-answer.  I already said in my original post that I have tried all of that.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sorry I'm a bit of a luddite, not sure what you mean by seperate SSIDs.  I'll try going into my router and seeing if I can force it down to 2.4.  If I do that and it sets up correctly then I need to enable remote access?  What does that do? Will I have control over celular only? 

The SSID is the name for your router's wifi that you see when you open your phone's wifi settings to pick one.  You may see something like "myrouter" and "myrouter-5g", (where "myrouter" is YOUR router name, not mine Smiley Happy!).  Connect your phone to the former to see if the app starts working.  Otherwise right, you'll have to see how to configure your router - there are so many types it's hard to say but you should find a wifi setup section.

Once you've found the wemo in the belkin app if you enable remote access you'll be able to connect remotely any time you're not connected to "myrouter" - including "myrouter-5g".  Not to worry, most times you won't notice that much of a difference.

DE1 wrote:

So I reset the switch and start from scratch.

I find the switch under WIFI menu on my edge 7 and select it.

Start up the Wemo app and it finds the switch.  Then it checks Cellular.  Then it tries to connect to my home WIFI.

At that exact moment the switch dissappears from the wifi list (watching on my gf's iphone).  The app hangs for a while tring to connect to my homes wifi and then says that the device cannot be found and I should find it on the AP list and try again. 

From this point on the switch has vanished and cannot be seen on any device's WIFI menu.  All lights are off on the switch.

I have tried turning off location services, putting my phone into airplane mode, using my gf's iphone 6,  uninstalling the app and starting from scratch.  Everytime the switch dissapears at the same point during installation and cannot be seen again on WIFI until it is reset.

Any help would be great.  This thing is getting returned tomorrow if I can't make it work.  

I had the same problem with my Insight Switch. I had to reset it 26 times before I could find and then connect to the wifi that the switch was broadcasting. As you've found, if the switch connection is unstable, the phone and app will then either connect to your cellular data network or your home wifi. The easiest way to prevent this from happening is to turn off mobile data and forget your home wifi at the time you're trying to set up the switch. It's a horrible workaround that should be totally unnecessary but it is what it is. I see you've tried airplane mode and presumably turned your wifi back on but that won't prevent your phone joining your home wifi network as soon as the switch network drops out.

Additionally, once set up, it occasionally goes offline and I have to power cycle it to get it back. I thought a problem was because I first had it on a range extender but moving it next to the router and getting it to join the router (which was a huge mission in itself) didn't fix the problem.

So hold the reset button and plug it in. Wait for the green wifi light to blink orange. Let go of the reset button. Wait approx 45 seconds for the wifi light to blink alternating green and orange. Then you should be able to find the wifi network broadcast by the switch. Join it. Open the app
Sometimes you get to this stage and when you proceed, instead of giving you the list of networks to join, it tries to join you to a previously saved network setting. If this happens, start again and do it ad nauseum until it works eg 26 or more times

I found that I was only able to set up my switch by turning my phone on to airplane mode, and then turning on wifi manually (while leaving airplane mode on). That got everything going for me. YMMV
DE1

MikeP wrote:

Mike,

Thanks so much for your help.  This was exactly the problem.  I set my router to legacy mode to force 2.4GHz and setup ran flawlesly.  I then returned my router to its original settings and everything still works.

Haha holy **bleep** that was frustrating. I ended up with the same problem. After resetting the thing a hundred times I found this post. I created another wifi network just on 2.4GHz seperate to my usual wifi. And eventually it worked.
Dumb