WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Wemo app controlling switches at multiple locations

I have 2 homes that I wanted to use these switches at and control them with one ipad. I have 4 switches in all. I setup my wireless networks with the same name and password at both locations. (Just to make it easy on me.) I set up all the at the 1st home, and all seemed to go well. The app could see them and turn them on and off. I brought them to the 2nd home thinking I would just have to plug them into the wall. When I did that the wemo app would not recongize them at all. I tried to reset a few of the switches. I did reset them correctly. The resetting seemed to work, but with no luck seeing them in the WeMO app. I guessed it may be a routine issue. So I came home updated my router at the first house and brought the old router from 1st home to the 2nd home. While at the 1st home I went to a local coffee shop and was able to turn my light on and off from there..

Then I come up to the 2nd home and swapped the router. After this the wemo app still did not find the switch at home. I plugged in another switch and that switch showed up and worked fine, no additional set up required. (Though all I can do to test remote access is to use the guest network.. and that works for the switch in the 2nd home. I have yet to go into town and try.)

So I'm not sure what is going on. I read something in the support materials that implied that the wemo app may have trouble finding switches if all the switches are not on the same network. It sounded like they planned to fix this at some point. Has anyone else had trouble with this? Now that I am in this state, what to I need to do to reset my wemo app. Even after deleting it and reinstalling it, it seems to remember my switches. It finds the live one on the local network, but there are two others that it can't find that it adds to the list as disconnected. So its leaving some data on the ipad when I delete it.

Re: Wemo app controlling switches at multiple locations

I found a link stating that WeMo App cannot control other WeMo devices in different homes. To control WeMo devices in multiple locations, you will need another iOS or Android device for each location. Here's the link to tthat: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=72619 To properly configure the WeMo device, you need to uninstall the WeMo App, then reset the WeMo device and turn it Off. After that, download the latest App then turn the WeMo device On. Use the latest App to reconfigure the unit. 

I can now control the switches one way, but it's interesting.  Because the wifi networks in both homes are named the same, the wemo app does not find the the switches when I am at the second home, but if I switch to the guest network it finds them and they work just fine...  

It sucks, but you're right, it can't.  I tried that myself, thinking I could fool it into thinking all devices are under one roof, but it's too smart, it knows the routers themselves are different, it doesn't just look at the SSID.  So far, only using IFTTT apparently is the only way to pull it off with one IOS device controlling Wemos at two locations.

Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

The WEMO App keeps a list of devices it expects to see on a network.  If you connect to a network with the same SSID it sees that and then sends out a UPNP request to see if those WEMO's are there.  Since it doesn't find them it doesn't show them.  

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

WEMO Maker Inventor

Any plans for creating support for this scenario Robert_S?

-G

Add me to the list of people trying to control Wemo's in two different locations. It never even occured to me the app would be locked to a particular location.

Currently my only choice is to use one device for one location and one device for the other.

There must be a way around this!

Dan

Controlling WEMO devices in multiple locations using 1 handheld device is a nice idea. I'm pretty sure Belkin will provide an update if this feature will be available. Let's just wait and see. :-)

Community Manager

Hi Guys,

It's on the roadmap.  It was pushed out a bit due to different issues we ran into during the year with releasing all the new products that came out as well as a couple of hiccups that required a lot of attention.  I'm not sure where the DEV team guys have it placed for at the moment though.  Sorry about that.  But it is on the list of "will be implemented".

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Interesting that this isn't supposed to work but I have devices working in my house and also at my cabin 100 miles away and all working from my iPad & iPhone.  Maybe it's because I do all of my Wifi setups manually since I have hidden SSIDs?