WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo app controlling switches at multiple locations

Dingogator wrote:
Another vote for multiple locations here. Please hurry... I invested in more WeMo sets and can not set them up in a second location. My other alternative is to find a competitior. How do we get an update? Thanks

Belkin is working on it but in the meantime you can manage with WemoManager.

I have had the same problem. They way I got around it was using the Wemo app for 1 location and then I bought the Quickswitch app and use that for the 2nd location. It's not ideal but I does allow me to control 2 locations using 2 apps with 1 device. Hope that helps.

Works for me. 2 locations, same SSID and password. Started by joining two Wemo Insight switches to my work router. Then took one switch home. Problem: when my iPhone is connected to the wifi at home with the same name as work, I can only see the home switch (ie work fails UPnP ping). Resolution: connect iPhone to home 5ghz network or use cellular data/4g. IFTTT works well with this combo.

My locations are all in the same house but different floors. Can't attach the different rules to the right switch even though they have different version numbers. Seems crazy that this won't work.

[ Edited ]

Are you using an android phone? If you are, try to clear the cache on the settings. It is found on Settings > Applications > WEMO > Clear Cache. If you have another handheld device, using it would help in isolating the situation.

When creating rules, make sure that your phone is connected to the same network with the router. 

By the way, which models do you have? Make sure to check if their firmware and the app is up to date.

Hi,

update for a problem? It's a very big big problem for a good product. Home and work, at least two location to control is the minimum!

[ Edited ]

Today I purchased TMobile hotspot for use in my 2nd home and 2 Wemo switches. Configured Wemos with hotspot using new separate Android phone, no problem. Now here is what happens. I am able to see and control both new wemos in 2nd home through hotspot. However as soon as I switch phone to 4G, both wemos grey out.
I checked remote access is enabled. I also checked both wemos were configured with remote access.

I suspect, problem is this. Although I use different Android phone to control 2 wemos in 2nd home, this phone uses same google account I have on main phone I use to control other wemos at my 1st home and somehow Belkin app and cloud remember my name which btw appears in the the wemo app in Remote Access screen. Is it possible?

Should I setup new google account, use some my grandpa name to be able to access wemos in 2nd home? That sound ridiculous but seems like might be the only way to make it work.

After all, new wemos and 2nd phone could be owned by my grandpa, so why wouldn't it work?

Ideas?

P.s. using same ssid for wifi in both locations is not possible.

Hello. I just joined in.  If you have a device with Android version 5 (lollipop) OS, I think there is a way to connect Wemo devices to more that one location. It is true that a device can only control one network but the most recent version of Android OS can be setup to have more that one user . Each user will  have their own allocated space and will have their own dedicated apps. You can assign each users there own wemo devices on a different network. 

Controlling your device will mean switching to any given user depending on what network you would want to control.

How to add users on an Android OS:

- go to settings and then select 'user' 

- install wemo apps to each users you just added and connect it to other network.

I just ordered my wemo light kit and switches. It will take a few days to set mine up. I will keep you posted.      

esdwa wrote:

Today I purchased TMobile hotspot for use in my 2nd home and 2 Wemo switches. Configured Wemos with hotspot using new separate Android phone, no problem. Now here is what happens. I am able to see and control both new wemos in 2nd home through hotspot. However as soon as I switch phone to 4G, both wemos grey out.
I checked remote access is enabled. I also checked both wemos were configured with remote access.

I suspect, problem is this. Although I use different Android phone to control 2 wemos in 2nd home, this phone uses same google account I have on main phone I use to control other wemos at my 1st home and somehow Belkin app and cloud remember my name which btw appears in the the wemo app in Remote Access screen. Is it possible?

Should I setup new google account, use some my grandpa name to be able to access wemos in 2nd home? That sound ridiculous but seems like might be the only way to make it work.

After all, new wemos and 2nd phone could be owned by my grandpa, so why wouldn't it work?

Ideas?

P.s. using same ssid for wifi in both locations is not possible.

I think the Google account has nothing to do with the situation. When you locally access the switches in your 2nd home, try to disable the Remote Access. Proceed with clearing the data of the app or reboot the handheld device. Re-enable the Remote Access and observe if you can control it while the Android is on 4G connection. 

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Any news on this? I contacted support and they basically just said it's not possible. I really need this to work because I have another switch at my dad's house I want to control as well as the ones at my house.