WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo app controlling switches at multiple locations

Hi Eslevy! That's a good addition to the features of the app but as of now, a WEMO app supports one WEMO network at a time. Stay tuned to our website for updates.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Count me in for multiple locations. I also bought multiple devices for use at home and a cabin. I have multiple Honeywell Wifi Tstat's and they are on the same app. I'm disappointed I can't use this at multiple locations too. Hopefully it comes along pretty soon. Maybe I should re-wire my thermostats to they operator lights instead of the furnace LOL. 

There are other Apps that say they control Wemo devices. Would installing one of these for the 2nd location work?

Windstang wrote:

There are other Apps that say they control Wemo devices. Would installing one of these for the 2nd location work?

Check out WemoManager

I read through the Wemo Manager info- seems a bit complicated. Like others have mentioned, a second or third Wemo app is really what I want.

Too bad they dropped the ball on having the Wemo in multiple locations. I also wanted a light switch at my cabin where I have a wireless 3G device but it wouldn't connect. Hopefully a multi location app is coming in the not to distant future.

It may seem that way but you will be very happy with results once you go live.

You can run the home server from this "free" java app

https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java

You will want to utilize the Android app for remote management and rules though.

I am unsure if a comment already sulu guests the answer, or in fact my solution to this is in fact part of the fix WeMo have added since the OP submitted their post.....

I have two switches on different networks, I did it as follows:

1. Added my switch following the default method.
2. Setting up the second switch, on a totally different network, I selected 'don't remember wireless settings' (or words to that effect) when setting it up.
3. Enter the new network details.
4. Job done.

NB1: The process of adding the second switch is easier if the first network is not available - if they are st different locations then this is easy, in my case both networks are st the same location so I had to turn off my first network.

NB2: The only problem I have encountered is that if your phone with the WeMe app installed is connected to either wireless network you will not be able to control the other switch. If you connect via 4G for example you can control both.

I ran into this problem when I had purchased two new switches for our second home.  It took me a while to figure out that the app that was on my phone could only work with the WeMo's back at our other house.  Answer to the probelm, since my husband also had the app on his phone for the Switches, I deleted the remote location on my cell phone app and added the two new Wemo's to our 2nd home.   Now we just have to remember who's phone controls which house.    On a second note.  Naming the switches really does help Identify them.

Another vote from me. 

In fact this is a dealbreaker. Actually, think this is pretty basic functionality and whilst I wouldn't expect it to have been in a Beta or v1, this product (the first WeMo light switch) was released in 2012. Not providing support for multiple locations (home, office, holiday home etc) and what is a pretty underwhelming app is beginning to look like a lack of investment and innovation. I have two devices (otherwise I would not have found the problem) but there will be no third and I will be returning and switching (pun intended) if this isn't sorted very soon.

I solved my problem. I use anroid smartphone to control my switches. Android version 5.1 supports multi-user. I assign a different user for every location where I operate a wemo switch. It works!!!!!. I switch users depending on which loction I want to control.

Note: You have to Install Wemo from google play seperately for each users and must provide a different email address.