WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo app controlling switches at multiple locations

I saw this old thread. I have the same problem. However, I cannot use multiple users in Android because the phone manufacturer has disabled that for my phone and I would have to root it to get that functionality. I found that another way to do this is use a router at a remote location that supports LT2P IPSec VPN, along with Wemo Home. Wemo Home allows you to specify the IP address of a device, so once you connect to your remote location VPN through your smartphone, you can enter the IP address of a device on the VPN subnet. Wemo Home quickly finds the device.

To make this work every time you should reserve an IP address for each Wemo device on the remote location LAN and use local DNS there so that you can store which devices are at which IP addresses, and also use dynamic DNS on your router from one of the DDNS providers. You will need this to connect through VPN. You should also make sure your primary and remote locations use different class C subnets to avoid any routing confusion, and a ping sweep application which can identify all devices on the remote LAN once you connect through VPN.

Admittedly this is a lot of work but if you know basic home networking it is easy to do, or alternatively is an interesting way to learn networking if you don't know it already. Most importantly this method is very secure and can be used for as many locations as you like, assuming you are willing to buy inexpensive routers which support VPN. It also frees you completely from Belkin's Amazon dependency; one time I tried to access my remote Wemo devices through the Internet (before I used a VPN) only to get a message from the app saying Belkin was doing maintenance on its servers.

This is true of most of the 3rd party IOS or Android Wemo apps.  I do this as well with OpenVPN.
WemoManager and WemoOnDrive can give you an alternate web interface that allows control from multiple sites.

drx00002 wrote:

I saw this old thread. I have the same problem. However, I cannot use multiple users in Android because the phone manufacturer has disabled that for my phone and I would have to root it to get that functionality. I found that another way to do this is use a router at a remote location that supports LT2P IPSec VPN, along with Wemo Home. Wemo Home allows you to specify the IP address of a device, so once you connect to your remote location VPN through your smartphone, you can enter the IP address of a device on the VPN subnet. Wemo Home quickly finds the device.

To make this work every time you should reserve an IP address for each Wemo device on the remote location LAN and use local DNS there so that you can store which devices are at which IP addresses, and also use dynamic DNS on your router from one of the DDNS providers. You will need this to connect through VPN. You should also make sure your primary and remote locations use different class C subnets to avoid any routing confusion, and a ping sweep application which can identify all devices on the remote LAN once you connect through VPN.

Admittedly this is a lot of work but if you know basic home networking it is easy to do, or alternatively is an interesting way to learn networking if you don't know it already. Most importantly this method is very secure and can be used for as many locations as you like, assuming you are willing to buy inexpensive routers which support VPN. It also frees you completely from Belkin's Amazon dependency; one time I tried to access my remote Wemo devices through the Internet (before I used a VPN) only to get a message from the app saying Belkin was doing maintenance on its servers.

Wemo IOS App for multiple locations is possible by just switching from WiFi to CELLULAR.

Refresh screen.

Networks can have different names.

Use FORGET NETWORK(?)v

William4. You mention the IOS app. Does that mean you believe it would not work with the android app, or that you simply do not know from experience.

Also does this imply that you could use the app wifi connected, so long as the wifi is not the one at any of your locations?

Ignore my above post.

I couldn't believe I was the only one to do this,

so... I went back to recreate it to log the steps neccessary.

Only to prove I was wrong & had done something else.     Sorry!!!

William4. Do you  believe you did get it to work or not? If you did, then it's worth trying again. Happy to swap ideas.

Any updates yet? I last posted over a year ago and read at the time that they are going to work on it, the 2 location problem that almost everyone wants fixed.

I control both homes using two devices, but each device is the WeMo app "home" for one home, and I use the Do app for the other home. So my phone's WeMo app is for my house, and the Do app controls my second home. On my iPad, the WeMo app is for my second home, and the Do app controls my house. It works pretty well, the only downside is you can't tell if a switch is "on" on the secondary device. 

Any update on this?

I am guessing still no update??????????????????????????????