WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo app opens and closes constantly

If I open the app normally, it's fine. If I open the app while connected to the wemo wifi (for my smart plug) the app opens, then returns to my app drawer/home screen, then opens, then returns to my app drawer/home screen, endlessly repeating. I even shut off auto-reconnect and most of my wifi settings.

Any idea what the heck is going on?!

Re: Wemo app opens and closes constantly

Hi, atlow. Are you trying to set up a new Wemo device? Try to force close the App and see if that helps. If not, uninstall/reinstall it. What's the OS of your handheld device? Please make sure that you're using the latest Wemo App version for optimum performance.

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

I had this problem as well - after connecting to the Wemo Mini's network and returning to the Wemo App, the app just opened and closed itself endlessly.

I uninstalled the wemo app, rebooted my android(v8.1.0) phone(galaxy 7) and reinstalled the application.   Starting the new version of the application warns about WiFi Scanning feature of android being incompatable with Wemo Mini setup.   The app provides a link to a help page that describes how to disable that feature on some other version of andriod.   On my version of android I found the feature under settings->connections->more connection settings.   After disabling the setting I was able to complete the setup normally.

I'm now having thr same problem with only one of my Wemo Mini switches. Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (8.1 Android OS) with WPA2 WiFi. Cleared cache, then cleared data, then uninstalled/reinstalled app - no go. Repeated process but restarted phone prior to reinstallation of app - no go. Smart is clearly flashing white/orange over and over so the reset seems to have worked. When I connect to Mini switch's SSID and hit back on my phone a couple times it doesnt actually go back to the app, it just closes the Wifi settings window. When you re-open the app it goes j to that boot/close/repeat cycle. Forgetting network doesnt help, trying to ignore Wemo app-based set up and starting by connecting to Mini SSID also no go. This app is just kinda bricked with this one Wemo Mini, it's super weird.

@carsonc014 wrote:
I'm now having thr same problem with only one of my Wemo Mini switches. Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (8.1 Android OS) with WPA2 WiFi. Cleared cache, then cleared data, then uninstalled/reinstalled app - no go. Repeated process but restarted phone prior to reinstallation of app - no go. Smart is clearly flashing white/orange over and over so the reset seems to have worked. When I connect to Mini switch's SSID and hit back on my phone a couple times it doesnt actually go back to the app, it just closes the Wifi settings window. When you re-open the app it goes j to that boot/close/repeat cycle. Forgetting network doesnt help, trying to ignore Wemo app-based set up and starting by connecting to Mini SSID also no go. This app is just kinda bricked with this one Wemo Mini, it's super weird.

That seems a bit odd, carsonc014. Can you still control the Wemo device using its physical button? Also, how often does the app crashes? For further isolation, let's try to use a different handheld device, and check if that'll make any changes. Make sure to install the latest app version. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

I am having this exact same problem. Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Android Version 8.1.0, latest version of the Wemo app from the Play Store, trying to setup/reconfigure a Wemo Mini plug. When I connect to the plug via WiFi, the app just goes away and then gets into a crashing loop where it restarts and exits immediately over and over again.

@wemokid

Have you also tried uninstalling and re-installing the WEMO App from your Samsung Galaxy Note 9? Please also try observing this on a different handheld device and perform the necessary workarounds. Let us know if the same setback occurs. Make sure that you're connected to the 2.4 GHz. Mobile data, Bluetooth and other running applications on the background should be turned Off or closed. You may also try restarting your phone/s first.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

I have a Samsung S9 and am having the SAME exact issue. I have reinstalled the Wemo app twice and nothing improved. The app and my phone are on the latest software version.

Hi, @marker227. To verify, have you tried the steps that are provided above for isolation? Also, have you tried using another handheld device? If this won't work, allow us to have our Product Experts assist you further with this. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com the following details so we can create a case for you:

-Phone Number

-Link to this community thread

-User Name

Fritz-21902
Wemo Technical Support

wemo representatives, I have a galaxy s9 running pie. I had to get a new router. now I cannot get any of my went plugs to work. the app goes thru this opening closing thing. I am running on 2.4ghz, I have turned off the Android auto wifi reconnect feature. etc.

I now have 8 wemo plugs that are unusable. please figure this out quickly.