WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Wemo app version that started whitelisting fewer zigbee compatible bulbs?

What app version and about when did the Wemo App update change it to failing to recognize the Sylvania Smartify A19 bulbs? I have 9 working A19 bulbs most labled with the Sylvania logo (one Cree and a Wemo or two), but when adding a new one, it flashes 3 times when adding a new device through the app. Wheel spins until I cancel, and then the bulb flashes four times.

No reset is invovled, resetting the bulb works fine, and flashes on connection as when ready to pair. Wiping my entire WemoLink with a 'hold-restore' then allows me to discover and 'Add" all the other identical labeled (on base) bulbs, but just not the Sylvania branded one now sold that I just acquired.

It seems the software is just not allowing it to be added? Even though Belkin claims the Link is discontinued and will not be updated, the app was just updated to add Apple HomeLink compatibility. 'No longer supported' should not mean removing working compatibiily with software updates.

Re: Wemo app version that started whitelisting fewer zigbee compatible bulbs?

[ Edited ]

@sydsfloyd67 

Hi! The latest Wemo App version is 1.20 and should still be compatible with the Wemo Link when it comes to home automation. Here are some steps that we can use to isolate further the setback: http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/WeMo-Bulbs-not-detected-by-WeMo-Link/td-p/5017 and http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Adding-Cree-Connected-LED-bulbs-to-WeMo-LINK/td-p/1336....

If still doing the same thing, we can still have this taken care of by our Escalation Engineers for further diagnosis with your issues. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details: 

- Full Name.
- Phone Number.
- Location - City/State.
- Community Username.
- Link to this Community thread.

We'll be looking forward to your email. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Because you want to take this out of the view of the community?  Why not answer here so we can all see?

BTW, my wemo link still doesn't work properly and I still don't have a refund.  Your engineer contacted me, I answered his questions, and he never got back to me.  The link will still lose bulbs regularly and the bulbs must be power cycled to reappear.  This does NOT happen with the osram link I now use in it's place.

Yes, as I said it is not a matter of getting the bulbs in pairing mode (what the links provided by the moderator reply describe).

The non working bulb: Osram Lightify A19  "Model 74283" (currently sold, I think)

Working bulbs: Osram Lightify A19 "Model 73674"

The major problem here is that the external packaging is the same on both the working on non-working, the logo on the bulb base is exactly the same, and difference only revealed exactly on one marking on the bulb base- no way for me to buy the correct bulb online.

It just has to be that the Wemo App simply cannot "Add" this bulb to the menu. (Prediction is that 4 flashes after 3 flashes for pairing and user "Cancel" indicates that with the bulb hardware.)

Rather than call for a private contact, can someone from Belkin tell us exactly which Osram Lightfy A19 models work, how to identify these at point of sale, and why additional models now sold cannot simply be added in the App (software)?

Am I going to run into this if I obtain Cree connected bulbs too? I like my system and it works fine for me for years with IFFT (I don't have the dropped bulb issue unless the Wemo Link is too far from the bulbs. A full restore-hold and reworking of the Link as new in the App also cleared up bulbs that were sometimes slow to become available, speeding up IFFT integration and imporving grouped bulb function.

Simply fix the software and I am ready to continue with Wemo platform, I'd rather not use iCloud for privacy reasons and find the Wemo local-only (no remote) function option  to be unique and superior to other hubs. If not, I'd have to go to direct local bulbs and control, as seen now with LIFX bulbs and others becoming available (cut out the middlemen and server/ecosystem here completely).

SF

I was able to confirm that Sylvania Lightify A19  "Model 74283" , labeled Osram and model number on the bulb base, does not pair with Wemo app version 1.20. I obtained another bulb, and same behavior as described (although seems to now flash 4 times during pairing, and 3 on user 'Cance', never Add(ing). This appears to be the currently available Lightify A19, where there is also now an Apple Home version as well.

The Sylvania Osram model 73674 that works well with Wemo is not available, and you can't find it from looking at the packaging as the model number only appears on the base (also with Osram on the base, rather than Sylvania).

I happend to have an iPad that I don't update, and it has Wemo App v. 1.13. The news here is that this app also can make the current Lightify A19 bulb flash 4 times, but then on either timeout or user Cancel, if flashes 3 times and does not become available in the software.

My take on this then after these trials is that Sylvania chaged the A19 Lightify bulb, and Wemo just didn't add support for it in the app (while adding support for Apple Home in app version 1.2, for example. I think these are still just Zigbee compatible standard, so its not clear why the software doesn't add anything found. Maybe just a marketing decision?

Can I still get a Cree Connected A19, or would this be another matter of 'hide the needed info'?

Best

SF

WEMO Maker Inventor

I suspect it was marketing and/or a poor implementation by the belkin team.

WemoLEDs is able to pair more bullb types to the wemo link than those on belkin's list so it may be worth a try - it links the osram white and RGB bulbs, the cree, and the GE bulbs.  Follow my FAQ to the refund instructions if you don't like the app.

The osram link may still be a better choice if you're sticking with zigbee, very similar but more reliable and flexible.  It can sometimes be found deeply discounted on amazon or lowes as I think osram is moving the line to a new version.  You might want to check http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Unresponsive-WEMO-Link-LED-SOLVED/m-p/46869 for more info.

Hue can link some of the bulbs but struggles with the older osrams.  I haven't tried it with new ones.

Hi MIke

Thanks for the insight. I may have to try to fire up my jailbroken Nook running Android just to get your app (WeMoLEDs) and add the current Sylvania A19 replacement bulb to my existing WemoLink network. Smiley Happy (If I remember it was a version of a 'Gingerbread' vintage.)

Replacing Osram Link entirely might be the way to go, I just want to control lighting, no other home automation wanted really. I only have two Wemo bulbs that would probably have to go. (WeMo with IFTT did fine for years, and was able to work without 'Remote Access', not sure why they reluctant to take advantage of the user base you get when you arrive early to a competitive and growing area.)

Cheers

SF

WEMO Maker Inventor

Not sure WemoLEDs will work on gingerbread anymore, google has dropped that platform and they only support 4.2 (kitkat?) and later.

Not to worry, the wemo led bulbs work with the osram bridge.

Thanks, circa 2010. Smiley Wink
I ordered a Cree Connected bulb as I'm just needing to replace one bulb in a nicely working Wemo Link setup of 8 bulbs and one switch. Sylvania Osram shorted out near base.

I also ordered a Osram Link as they seem to be closing out a successful thing over there too in a scramble to introduce dependence and obsolescence, hitching to Apples lead. I'll run new deck lighting in parallel there as the current obsolete Osram Lightify dimmable is $5, and color flood $21.

Not for the faint of heart, which means a self limiting business model.

SF

I've been stocking up on some discounted Lightify products too. Pretty impressed with the stability. Thinking about moving all my bulbs to the Lightify gateway, but the rules engine on Wemo is more comprehensive. I also have Mike's app, so I could just use that for my rules – or Home Assistant on the RbPi.