WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo security or not with visitors

[ Edited ]

The WEMO app doesn't have that feature yet, Carloslassous. We'll take note of this and share your feedback to the Development team

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

Irish_S wrote:

The WEMO app doesn't have that feature yet, Carloslassous. We'll take note of this and share your feedback to the Development team

No. no, no. Please DO NOT share this with them again. They have been hearing about this issue for well over 3 years. I am sure they are sick of hearing the same thing over and over again 

Actually someone want to add WEMO device need administrations grant permission, or must use password to add device. Thats simple..... 

But they never treat this issue was important, for years !

Hi Robert,

I have a similar question.  My iPad was stolen, and it has the WEMO app on it with remote access to my 3 devices: Wall Switch, Switch, and Maker.  I obviously can't access my iPad anymore to change/remove the access, and I don't want a random criminal getting control if they manage to crack my iPad password.  I've initiated a remote erase but the iPad is wifi only, so if they never connect to the internet it will not erase.

I have remote access with my iPhone, I just need to remove the iPad.  What can I do to remove the iPad's ability to control my devices? 

Thanks,

Paul

Well if they don't connect to the Internet, they won't be able to control your devices. If they do access the Internet it will be erased - where is the problem? Alternatively on a device you still have, in the App, go to More and Remote Access and disable the missing iPad there.

So, I am getting ready to set up a Wemo outlet for our garage door opener because we currently use a controlled outlet that requires us to keep track of a tiny remote control. The problem being that energy surges from lightning storms or whatever will cause our garage door to open randomly so we normally cut the power tint with the other controlled remote. We figured with the wemo outlet, we can both control the power to the garage door opener without worrying about where that damned remote is. If someone happens by with a wemo app, will they be able to control the wemo connected to our garage door opener??

[ Edited ]

Hi, coughransrus. In regards to your query, you can actually install a Wemo switch or Wemo maker in the garage, and you can use it via Wemo app. It's recommended that you would hire a professional electrician to set it up for safety purposes.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Clearly you've never even seen a maker in real life nestor.

You're recommending a product that Belkin does not manufacture nor sell anymore.  You're recommending a product that doesn't control mains power.  And you're recommending hiring an electrician for a low voltage application that doesn't apply here.

Yet you neglected to mention the security bugs in your wemo cloud that would let other people control his garage door.

So the answer is yes, a light switch would work to cut power to the opener.  Generally no one else could control it unless you have an open wifi system or share the password - anyone who can connect to your wifi can gain remote control of your wemo.  Or if someone (including belkin) sells you a used/returned switch then it's likely the original owner(s) can remotely control your wemos.

To control open/close the door you'd need something else as well, I imagine your current remote would still work.

Highlighted

I put my Wemos on a sub network and do not broadcast the SSID. It is a network setup specifcally because of this problem.