WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Wemo switch becomes unresponsive "Not detected"

jtanner wrote:

Belkin blaming channels and interference is a bulls.h.it diversionary tactic.  99% of peoples routers and wifi settings are perfect (if not factory defaulted - eg static channel, no firewall)

Yeah, it'd be funny if it wasn't so insidious "It's not us it's you, you've done something wrong with your router.  Report back when you've got it fixed".

The phone is connected over that "poor" wifi connection and the customer is often holding it standing right beside the wemo staring at the flashing LEDs.  So why is it the wifi and not the wemo?  802 protocol is built to recover from collisions - noisy neighbours will slow down a connection a little due to retries, but unless someone is running a 50 year old microwave oven it's gonna keep working.  I've called them out on it a few times but they've yet to change their support script.

...And teh bit where they ask you not to return the device just yet and give them a chance with new update but then that update fixes nothing, they never reply to a single email and it's too late to return the device.

We need to club enough people together to bring about a case / lawsuit.  If the greater collective can bring cases against Apple (as I've seen reported, even though I personally love Apple), then surely enough of us could bring a case against Belkin for miss-selling a product (Hell I even call it fraud since it I purchased the device expecting it to do stuff that it advertised but can't.  I was tricked out of my money)

[ Edited ]

A quick reply to say that using MikeP's Java app on my MacBook Pro, I was able to turn the WeMo device on and off... so the problem must be within the actual official app!!

If I can find an alternative iOS App to test with I will.

======================================================

UPDATE: It seems to almost be some kind of advertising / broadcasting issue.  I tried various 3rd party apps, none would find it !?

MikeP's Java app however "found" it (I had to specifiy the IP but it talked to it after that).

All very strange.

[ Edited ]

I have tried Mike's 'WeMo Manager' app and also an app called 'Home In Touch'. I also have a Samsung SmartTings hub and have downloaded their app.

All of these work fine all of the time. I never lose connectivity.

With the 'WeMo' app I have to turn off/on the device for it to be discovered and then after anything from 15mins to an hour they will go Not Connected.

I appreciate it takes time to repair faulty software (i.e. the WeMo app etc) but a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If people wonder why I say a year, look at the forum.

I just wish I had researched more before I bought this cxxp.

P.S. I am using the SmartThings hub to control all of my devices so the loss of the WeMo app is not too critical.

Also on the plus side I can now buy other manufacturers kit and control it all through the hub.

On the downside, I have had to buy another piece of hardware to control kit that should work through it's own app and not through a 3rd parties.

Try following the changes in this post.
So far it is working for me.http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Wemo-switches-undetected-after-half-hour-of-normal...
Expert

@jtanner. We'd like to know if you receive a reply from the Email Team so we can notify them. 

Still working OK.
It's been 24 hrs now.
Looking good.
Just as well Jonnyuk posted this fix as I still haven't heard anything from Belkin Sustainable Engineering team for over a week now. They are obviously not reading these posts because if they were they would post something here and on various other posts that are reporting this issue.
WEMO Maker Inventor

bobbles wrote:
Still working OK.
It's been 24 hrs now.
Looking good.
Just as well Jonnyuk posted this fix as I still haven't heard anything from Belkin Sustainable Engineering team for over a week now. They are obviously not reading these posts because if they were they would post something here and on various other posts that are reporting this issue.

You'd think they would, the need to enable multicast was reported here by community members years ago (including on my site as a tip for "finding wemo")...  I expect this is the cause of many of these problems especially for folks with dual band routers where multicast isn't enabled by default.  It should be pretty obvious to the dev team as UPNP (used to discover the wemo's) is a multicast protocol.

Of couse the support team still insists it's "wifi interference" and helps with "change your wifi channel, but don't call us, we'll call you.  Post back here after we do" Smiley Tongue.  They must enjoy the work - or get credit for each answer, right or wrong.  Not me - the 3rd time I hit that problem I put it in my FAQ.

[ Edited ]

MikeP - it was following your guide - https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/where-s-wemo

that I found the settings on... I can't take credit for that. I found it through random Googling, not through the Wemo forums, I only just realised it was your site from your post above. Added a credit in my original post/fix now I know it's your site I was cribbing from.

Jonnyuk

@