WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo switch becomes unresponsive "Not detected"

They are the latest versions of firmware.

I have 11 WeMo switches that I bought last year to control my Christmas lights around the house.  They worked reliably for about two weeks following my initial setup last year and I could control the lights remotely from anywhere in the world where I had an Internet connection.  But after that first two weeks, they started getting squirrelly -- "Not Detected" and being unresponsive, etc.  My home network didn't change in any way; my Internet connection at home didn't change; all of my other devices (computers, printers, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV, Smart TVs, BlackBerry, etc.)  had NO problems connecting.  But the WeMos just became a major pain in the ass.

This year, I decided to try them again.  Plugged them all in, updated all their firnware, updated the WeMo app on all of my conroller devices (2 iPhones and 2 iPads).  They worked somewhat OK -- occasionally losing their connections to my home network, but usually recovering OK after restarting the WeMo app on whatever mobile device I'm using.  But even though they're all "Remote Enabled," when I get outside the range of my home WiFi network, ALL of the WeMo switches become greyed out and "Not Detected" -- ergo, not reachable.  And my IFTTT recipes don't work any more -- IFTTT can't see the **bleep** things either (and yes, I've checked all of my IFTTT channel settings, confirmed them with PINs, etc.).  

I read EVERY frigging post on the WeMo Community and Belkin's PATHETIC support website.  I called Belkin's even MORE PATHETIC tech support -- who advised me to unistall and reinstall the WeMo app on my iPhone when I was two states away from my home.  Guess what?  The WeMo app can't see *ANYTHING*, now -- including ALL of my WeMo switches.  DOH!  Probably because I'm a thousand and a half miles away from my home network and the Belkin "Cloud" of Stupidity now no longer has any clue about how to connect my WeMo app back to my WeMo switches at home.

This WeMo stuff is CRAP.  I paid $500 for a bunch of CRAP!  Belkin BLOWS!!

Have the EXACT same problem with 6 of these that i bought for a 2nd home 1,000 miles away in Florida. All units firmware is updated to recent. After i left Florida 3 weeks ago, 1 unit is still detected (which is the fartheset away from the router) and the other 5 are greyed out as "Not Detected" - WTF.  I have remotely rebooted the router to see if that was the issue, but to no avail...The router can't be the problem. Its a new ASUS A68U ac, with the latest bells/whistles. These switches are iffy at best... I've wasted more that 8 hrs trying to dig up info why these units won't stay connected. VERY FUSTRATING after spending $300 for the 6ea. Good luck in the future BELKIN

I believe wireless strength can be obtained this way.

On IOS

- Open Wemo App

- Select MORE

- Select Tell us What you Think

- Select Report a Problem (We aren't but this will generate an email with diagnostic info)

You should see the following info:

Device Type, MAC Address, Switch Firmware rev, Wireless Strength, Switch Name, availability, Server Connection types, authorization, other firmware info....

•••• This is only going to show switches that are responding though.  

I have also setup DHCP reservation on my router for my switches so I can monitor them onsite with a ping utility.  If one were to go offline I wll get an email.

Florida-Jim Do you know what firmware version you are running on your ASUS router?? I run 3 ASUS routers (with Merlin FW ) with 18 wemo devices and keeping them online is the least of my problem. I have always been under the assumption that ASUS users appear to have less issues with these devices. The exception being several users running very old ASUS stock FW even though the routers were new. Once update to the latest (Asus stock or Merlin, doesnt really matter) their problems access problems went away.

Wemo Manager from Mike P will also report all the switch information including signal.

I have DHCP reservations for all my switches, but they still drop out routinely, even with 100% signal. Thinking of dropping the reservations and setting an update interval of 2 hours. for the lease to see if it keeps them from going rogue...

[ Edited ]

IanH wrote:

Wemo Manager from Mike P will also report all the switch information including signal.

I have DHCP reservations for all my switches, but they still drop out routinely, even with 100% signal. Thinking of dropping the reservations and setting an update interval of 2 hours. for the lease to see if it keeps them from going rogue...

Any chance of nearby access points running on the same channel?

That "Wemo Manager from Mike P" is a nice app.

I am not their advocate in any way, but this may not be Belkin switch issue. I had similar problem with any other non-computer but embedded type device running on my home network using WiFi before I even heard about Wemo system.
My Roku player, my both Xtreamer players, another media player, all from different manufacturers were constantly loosing connection with my Motorola FIOS router. I found root cause which was IP address conflicts. For some stupid reason my router was assigning one ip address which was already taken. I fixed it by assigning fixed addressed to mac addresses of my players and problem went away. I suggest doing same thing with any other router and wifi enabled clients. I have same assignment done for all my wemo devices I use. The problem should disappear. Let me know if it does, cheers.

I shut down my extra access points to see if there was a conflict, but the problem is still there.  The devices can plug along for hours with no issues, and then all of a sudden multiple switches will go offline.

I have done a scan with inSSIDer and there doesn't seem to be any other interference from the neighbours.  Even the switches with 100% signal drop off, so I'm thinking it's Wemo or router related.

Everything on my router is assigned an IP...