WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo switch becomes unresponsive "Not detected"

This issue sucks as does WEMO and Belkin. This issue has been around since inception because they put a weak WIFI card in something that will always be placed in corners or near the floor. It plugs into an outlet so be default it is always in a weak signal place. But Belkin engineers and management are too dumb and/or too cost down to remedy that. I hope someone comes into the market and eats their freaking lunch.

I agree.  Connection is terrible. Website support is just as bad.   I had a heck of time getting the plug in to work for our Christmas tree. It NEVER worked consistently.  Now, the Iphone does even see it... even after I tried to reset it.  It's nowhere to be found even after trying multiple times to reset. 

WiFi is not ideal as you say and I prefer the Zigbee protocol used by the LED bulbs as this is MESH based so that if a bulb is not within range of the Wemo Link but can see another bulb, it will relay the message through that.

Zigbee licensing is not cheap though so the price for the units goes up. A WiFi module needs no licensing payments and they are so low cost now that many are seeing the advantage to this for remote devices but the issue is signal strength in some locations. In my apartment I can't get anything in one corner of my bedroom where a socket is located so I could not install any Wemo switch there. I would need to extend my WiFi into that room with another AP to get signal in there.

My biggest issue with the Wemo is the lack of support for use outside of the iOS or Android apps. There is an SDK but so far it doesn't work with the LED bulbs I purchased and it only works on Android and iOS and I want a Linux or PC SDK. Some folks have hacked the protocol on UPNP but even that does not see the bulbs and only works with units that have a real WiFi module in them. It can see the Link but no control of the bulbs so far. Smiley Sad

By opening up the protocol they would expand the sales of the units as this would allow others to develope software to control them. The cloud stuff can stay within their own apps as I don't see the need for this anyway. If I had an API to use with my HA I could use the HA to access them anyway.

WEMO Maker Inventor

If it helps, my (paid) app WemoLEDs on Google play has an API that supports the WemoLink and LEDs, and adding WemoManager adds an additional set of automation and API capabilities - a rules engine, a REST server, etc.

[ Edited ]

MikeP wrote:

If it helps, my (paid) app WemoLEDs on Google play has an API that supports the WemoLink and LEDs, and adding WemoManager adds an additional set of automation and API capabilities - a rules engine, a REST server, etc.

Mike has some incredible apps.  I haven't played with WemoLEDs yet but I can say WemoManager is a solid product.  I have Apple blood from the 80's in me but reached out and purchased one of the dirt cheap $20 Android phones and his product runs awesome.

I will second that. Mike's app is great for troubleshooting as well. You can look at logs that show disconnections, and status.

Well worth the cost.

Requesting for a port to the IOS for Wemomanager Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Hi, Has this issue been resolved yet?

I've been doing some playing and when I lose connection on a hub which uses WPA Auto the only way I can reconnect is by unplugging the WeMo Insight and then plugging it back in. I can then see the Insight socket in the app and set rules etc.

On another occassion when I have lost connection I connect to an 'open' wi-fi hub and I can then detect to the device OK. I do not restart the app just press the refresh button and all is OK. I then connect back to me WPA Auto hub and I lose the connection again. At no point do I restart the WeMo Insight socket or close down the WeMo App. I just change to an open hub and press the refresh button.

I am using the latest Andriod App, have installed the latest firmware and as far as I'm aware everything is up to date.

Any update on this issue would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob.

I forgot to mention that I am using a fixed channel on the hub

Well, I'm not going to repeat all the things I am reading in previous posts, that I too experience.  All-to-say, I'm extremely frustrated with my Wemo Switch and Wemo Light Switch.  Right now they are totally useless.  And in everything I read, I see no effort at resolution by Belkin.  If anyone knows of a better, more reliable product, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Expert

@Bob

Try to use another wireless channel on your router to avoid possible interference in your network. Download the Wi-Fi analyzer app. It helps you to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router. You can also uninstall and reinstall the WEMO app. If the same thing happens, reset the WEMO to its factory default settings.

Ann_18678
WEMO Technical Support