WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo switch becomes unresponsive "Not detected"

[ Edited ]

I just signed up to this site to post this after owning 2 of these light switches for just under a week. 

I've currently installed only one of them and within one week it has stopped responding twice.  I know it's not a WiFi problem as my wifi controller shows it as connected with ample signal strength.  I'm also able ot ping it.  Both my WeMo app (Android) and my Home Automation Controller (Vera) cannot connect to the device so it's not an app problem but seems to me to be a firmware/software problem.  I bought these on sale and considering how unreliable they are for me (and others) I will be taking them back and getting either ZWave or Insteon switches regardless of their price.  I've had ZWave and Insteon in my HA set up for years and they have NEVER failed me a single time.  Shame on you Belkin for selling such an unreliable product.

Screenshot_2015-10-30-07-29-39.pngScreenshot_2015-10-30-07-29-39.png

I have tried Belkin's 'Standard response' and reset the whole xxxxxxxx kit to factory defaults and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. (Multiple times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guess what, NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This, along with sunset rules not working since DST last weekend and Belkin's total lack of concern about these issues, has made my mind up for me.

I will be putting the whole lot on ebay and get what I can for the items I am using.

I will also purchase some kit that never seems to have too many issues. That will include virtually everything apart from Belkin.

If anybody is concidering buying this kit I would strongly suggest you DO NOT BUY IT.

It's not so much that there are issues with the kit, it's Belkin's total inability to fix the issues and from the responses to this and other threads their total lack of interest in fixing the issues. The 2 issues that I encounter have been ongoing for over a year!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou and goodbye.

Hi, Wammo. We're sorry to learn about your experience with the Light Switch. Give us a chance to make it to up with the inconvenience that you had with the device. Please email us your contact details at WEMOCares@belkin.com so that we can have our Customer Assurance Team assist you further. Don't forget to include the link to this community post for our reference.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Hi, bobbles. We understand your frustration and we'd like to assist you further given your experience with your WEMO Switch. Please email us your contact details at WEMOCares@belkin.com so that we can have our second level support team assist you further with the challenges that you have with the device. Don't forget to include the link to this community post for our reference.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Whats the point. Enough people have been suffering from this issue for months with no resolution so I doubt me adding to it will help.

Expert

We understand how tough it was for you and we're hoping you'd allow us to have this thoroughly investigated to prevent a similar scenario in the future.

Ann_18678
WEMO Technical Support

I've literally just joined to complain about the same thing.  Everytime I have to reset the device and re-do the setup.  Barely had this a week and it's quite literally thee worst POS I've ever owned.  I redo the set up, it works, no joke, ONCE.... I can turn something off, then on again.  But a few hours later when I need to turn it OFF ... it thinks then goes "Not Detected" and I have to bloody well reset everything ... again.  Completely defeats the object if every time I want to use I have to reset the **bleep** thing.

Some minor background: 20 years in the "IT" industry, numerous microsoft cers / cisco certs etc etc... so no, it's not a problem with my network, no there's no other wifi comflicting, no there's no conflicting devices, yes I've tested on a "sandboxed" network (eg, wireless router, wemo plug + 1 device connected via the wifi with the wemo remote app)... same problem.

I paid £14.99 in a sale, If I had paid the RRP (which according to the shop is £29.99) I'd have been twice as p****d off.

Oh and yes, I've sent at least 4 or 5 reports now - no reply as of yet.

Mine was working fine till the last firmware update. No its either spotty and it no longer is recognized by Amazon Echo

Hi Jtanner! Since you haven't received any reply yet, let's have this checked. What is the model of your WEMO device? Is the firmware updated? Aside from resetting the device, what other steps you have tried? How about relocating it to somewhere near the router to isolate this challenge? 

I suspect the device is experiencing intermittent connection and adjusting also the wireless channel of the router may help.

If the app can't still detect the device, check also the light on it. If it is amber, it means it has been disconnected from the network. If it's not, try force closing the app or clear the data (Settings>Applications>WEMO>Clear data on an Android device).

Update this thread with the result.

Irish_16855
WEMO Technical Support

I have been doing some testing with a Smartthings hub. At no point have I lost connectivity with any of the devices on my network and they have all been working floorlessly. There is also a tab in the app so that you can see the sunrise/sunset messages that go from the hub to the devices. What I will say is the rules function is not so easy to use IMHO. So I think this proves my router is doing what it should and that its a belkin issue. Any ideas in resolving this?