WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Wemo switch becomes unresponsive "Not detected"

[ Edited ]

I'm in the UK.  I've spent near 20 years in the IT industry.  10 in hardware the rest in development.  I've used this item in a sandbox test.  I've tried multiple routers, with just the router, the WeMo and my iPhone connected.  Various router setups.

This really is, for once, a case of Occam's razor.  The simplest answer....  The devices are faulty and not fit for purpose.  They are being mis-sold under false advertising.  I have not yet found a single solution whereby this item works as intended.  The best I have managed thus far, is when connected to a my router which is connceted to the internet.  NOTHING else connected.  Then and only then can I always control via 4G (Mobile network).  I can still never control it by WiFi.  This meant, during testing, I had to disable WiFi, toggle the power, re-enable WiFi on my device for it to work.  This however is not practical and is not its intended design.  I want to control it by WiFi.  That is what it is advertised as doing, that is the purpose I bought it for - which it can not do.  Regardless of coutless firmware updates and App updates.  Oh and just to add - Yes I've tested both Android and iOS.  I've tried various devices from samsung phones (Android), nexus tablets (android) to iPad (iOS) and iPhones (iOS). 

Bottom line.  This is a failure of a product and needs to be withdrawn from sale.  There are literally thousands of posts over the internet complaining about this device.  And to re-iterate, I have now sent in the region of 73+ emails to various support emails (even as requested by an apprent representative here) and yet not received a single reply.

PS: I refer to the product/company and it's support department as a whole.  I do not refer to any other non-belkin related person or poster.

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance. Thank you.)

Just an option and I understand if some don't want to purchase additional software but I'd recommend at least picking up the $2.99 WeMoHome.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mpp.android.wemo.home&hl=en

Offsite with Automation Manager (AKA WemoManager) for a bit more.

Really the only thing Mike's app can't do is update the firmware.

Just a happy customer!!!
WEMO Maker Inventor

My app is pretty good at keeping track of the wemos.  You can run it on a PC and have it monitor your wemos - it'll keep a log of when they go offline or come back online that you could compare to what you see in the belkin app.  Might give some ideas on why they drop, or ammunition for discussions with the support team (FWIW).

Setup instructions and the download is here WemoServer for java, it's free. if you're not sure what the log means you can save and send it to me, I'll try to help interpret it.

The key tips that seem to keep wemos active most of the time are:

• Use a shorter period for the encryption key - 60 minutes is pretty good.  That forces the wemos to reconnect hourly and they usually recover when they do.
  • On a router, UPNP is for setting up the firewall so it's only needed at the edge of your network.  If you have any WAPs make sure UPNP is DISABLED on all but the edge router as they might be blocking UPNP messages.
  • Multicast must be enabled on all of your routers for the Belkin app to find the wemos (or for them to find each other if they're running rules
  • Set your wifi routers to a FIXED channel.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the "wifi interference" advice from belkin is misdirection crap from the support team.  Last time I could be bothered to check there's a bug in the wemo firmware/hardware that prevents them from channel hopping - if your router reboots or changes channels the wemos often get lost.

If the wemo can be reached through 3G/4G then it's connected to your wifi - so that means it's the belkin app that can't find them wemos on your network - the problem lies with the app.  Resetting the wemos is support wasting your time and the problem will return.

"Might give some ideas on why they drop, or ammunition for discussions with the support team (FWIW)."

Worth nothing as they never ever ever reply.  I've send 73+ emails, probably 100+ if you include the alternate email addresses I've sent from to eliminate some other excuse they might try (I've sent from a total or 5 different email addresses)

"Resetting the wemos is support wasting your time and the problem will return." -- As is them requesting you await for an update. Smiley Happy

I'm going to take a look into the Java webserver app you've linked thanks.

"If the wemo can be reached through 3G/4G then it's connected to your wifi - so that means it's the belkin app that can't find them wemos on your network - the problem lies with the app" -- That's a tricky one and not strictly true.  After a few days, the Blue led on the WeMo goes off.  There is no status led iluminated as if to indicate it's connection is dropped however I was still able to control via 4G.  Again, I just think the deviced are f,u,c,ked up

WEMO Maker Inventor

On mine the LEDs are almost always off except for the night light on the light switches which is configurable.  The yellow LED will flash when they occasionally drop off of the network and reconnect and the light switch is green when on, but that's about it.

I'm 100% sure that if you can control the wemos via 3G/4G they're connected to your wifi Smiley Happy.  The wemos don't have any other way to talk to the belkin web servers except via your wifi, so it's the only way your phone could be reaching them.

If you have any questions/problems with the server feel free to ask here or email me directly (there's a contact me link on my site).  I haven't yet outsourced my support team Smiley Wink.  I forgot to mention that the java app does have on/off function as well - there's a popup menu for each device found - so you can confirm whether they're really online.

Generally I find the wemos, with the very notable exception of the wemo link, to be quite reliable with the connection tips I gave earlier.  The app does need quite a bit of work...

I wasn't doubting its connectivity to the router as such, like you say, if it's accesible via 4G then of course it MUST have a connection to the WiFi router otherwise it would not be able to be reached.  However even running a LAN Scan it doesn't respond, it's IP Address is never listed from the router (attached devices), via Angry IP Scanner and many other lan scanning apps such as Fing etc etc.  It's like it doesn't exist.

Just an update from my perspective.

Rudolph Aranez a Sustaining Engineer at Belkin International has been in touch via email and has asked me to do the following, twice. This was on the 16th and 17th of Nov.

Can you provide me more information about your network? (Indicate the model and make of the Wireless Router and the modem)
Does your router have guest network or a multi SSID enabled wifi? Do they have the same SSID? 
Do you have a VPN setup on the network? 
Do you have wireless access point or range extender on the network? (indicate the model and make)
Have you setup your WEMO devices with a different router before?

Can you reboot the wireless router for 10 seconds then check if you can see the devices? 

Also, using the WEMO App, Go to More options > Select "Report a Problem". Enter your email address "XXXXXXXXXX@outlook.com". Select Multiple Products > Local Access. Then put a not that information is requested by me. 

I still have to check the devices status from the cloud with the complete "Report a Problem" that you will send. I will contact you to discuss our next step.

NOT HEARD A THING SINCE.

I worked for a telecomms company in the UK on new products and services that we released to the public. This included products that are accessed through apps. We would go through extensive testing on all scenarios before the products were released to the public.

This was for 2 main reasons.

a) That the product is fit for purpose.

b) The release of a bad product to the general public that is not fit for purpose will cause the customers to become dissatisfied with the product and with the vendor. This in turn causes the public to move else where for these services/products.

We also had a dedicated support team to deal with the public and keep them informed on the results of investigations and the next steps.

I'm afraid Belkin, you obviously haven't done 'a' above and are now suffering with 'b'.

As for keeping people informed, you have a lot to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Rudolph Aranez, a Sustaining Engineer at Belkin International when will you be contacting me with the result of your investigations or are you hoping that the problem and the people will go away and not bother you or your colleagues.

As an aside, an offer of a refund for the products I have purchased that are not fit for purpose or work as advertised would be greatly received.

I suspect I won't get a response to this request either.

[ Edited ]

Mike's free WemoServer for Java is something to to check out.

https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java

This can help validate Wemo's on your network.  You can also control them though this interface on your desktop computer.

On an OS X machine using 10.11.1 just download this.

Double click on file... you will then get the security alert...just go into "Security & Privacy" General tab and tell it to open anyway from there.

IMO:  This is very useful for any Wemo owner to have.

EDIT:  You may need to install Java but OS X will prompt you.

Just to add something that I have mentioned before, I think.

When the devices are 'Not Connected' in the WeMo app, I CAN see the devices in the device list of my router and I can also ping them.

As said by numerous people on numerous occasions, does this mean that the app is cxxp and needs some serious re-writing.

MikeP seems to have written an app that works seemlessly, why can't Belkin.

I am also using a fixed channel and looking at WiFi Analyser there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, that clashes with this channel on any nearby routers.

Belkin blaming channels and interference is a bulls.h.it diversionary tactic.  99% of peoples routers and wifi settings are perfect (if not factory defaulted - eg static channel, no firewall)