WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is wrong with Belkin's WeMo plugs? Any workarounds?

I have five WeMo plugs, all of which advertise HomeKit support on the box and in the instructions. None of them have worked during set up the way Belkin says they should.

The instructions simply don't work and don't seem to actually reflect the way the Home app works, or the way iOS works.

The instructions tell you to join the wi-fi network created by the plug, but iOS almost always only lists that network under a subsection called "Set up new device." When you "join" it, it immediately asks you if you want to "Add to Home & Wi-Fi". If you hit cancel it leaves the plug's wi-fi network. If you agree it asks you to scan the HomeKit code and tries to add the device to the Home app, which always fails. with a device not found or "Home couldn't connect to this accessory."

The WeMo app often fails to see the plug, even when you're 'joined' to the devices wi-fi. This alternates with the WeMo app telling me the plugs are incompatible with my network, which is an AirPort wireless network...

So far, I've gotten one of them to connect, and work, even though neither Home nor the WeMo app ever gave me a success message, only failure messages, and then it was magically connected.

How in the world is this a certified HomeKit device? It seems like no one has actually tested this thing before releasing it.

Re: What is wrong with Belkin's WeMo plugs? Any workarounds?

[ Edited ]

All my Mini’s purchased as twin packs

I have 16 Mini’s running flawlessly now, but it was difficult to get through initial setup on some of them. Packages for most of the Mini’s I purchased were not marked HomeKIt ready, but were noted as being so by vendor. I think this was true after a firmware update. Getting them to be recognized by and connecting to my home Wifi seems to be the stumbling block. All purchased between 5/10/2018 and 1/30/2019

Factory Reset a Mini Plug

IMPORTANT; device should be unplugged at least 10 seconds between attempts.

• Plug device in, immediately press and hold button.
  • Observe indicator; Solid white > Solid orange > Blinking white
  • Release Button
  • Wait, device indicator will go from blinking White (pretty sure of sequence - it's the blinking orange white that's important) to Slower blinking White > Solid White > Blinking White > Blink alternating Orange then White. NOTE; device WiFi address should now be discoverable.

Add Device to Home Network and Wemo app.

2/1/19 this is closer now it keeps changing and there are so many variations I will never get it right. This seems to have been improved on Wemo’s end.

Once Factory Reset in phone go to (I have iPhone)

Settings > WIFI

When connected phone will show under “Set up new device“; say Wemo.Mini.XXX (do note device serial number suffix) Unsecured Network (I don’t think you need to worry, saw somewhere that it is only unsecured briefly during setup)

• Select Wemo device address.
  • Once phone Wifi connects
  • Go to Wemo App., when app detects the new device screen will go green > Opening connection…
  • Select a device, If more than one.
  • Personalize screen NOTE while you can fully personalize device here the process can fail and you will have wasted your time, it can all be done at a later time. Suggest just naming device using device ID suffix. 
  • Press NEXT
  • WiFi settings will be off for first device, having it on, app will remember Wifi connection info, for your next device. Enter required information/password.
  • Green screen>Connected to Wemo.Mini.XXX > Attempting to connect to device
  • Screen “Select Your Wi-fi screen” instruction “Select your home Wi-Fi network”. This can take some time be patient and wait until your 2.4GHz wireless router appears then select it (won’t see this if remember Wifi is ON). 
  • You are successful when your device appears in Wemo app device screen. It can take a. little to populate.
  • IMPORTANT; first thing when connected check for firmware update in Wemo app.
  • Go to More at bottom right in Wemo app and select “Firmware Update”. Perform update if one is available.

Notes

• Wifi should be compatible with Mini’s capability which I think is 2.4 GHx 802.11n.
  • Make sure your close to device and router.
  • Minimize other WiFi interference (good idea – I didn’t)

Link Wemo device to HomeKit 

• After firmware updated, go to More at bottom right in Wemo app and use “Connect To Our Smart Home Partners” follow process.
  • If you use a Wemo bridge this was automatic. If your device is HomeKit ready, there is a option to link directly. I have not used this , thimgs seem faster with Bridge.

Again Good Luck!

My switch worked fine until there was a software update.  Now it disconnects every few hours -- terrible.

Allow us to look into this, lhabitat. Is it showing as not detected on the WEMO App? Have you tried rebooting it after the update? What LED light is it currently on?

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks CTMax,

I just got my firstwemo mini smart plug today and actually managed to connect it to my HomeKit. Then I did the firmware upgrade that was suggested by the app - which took a long time. Afterwards I could not connect to the plug.

I might have also unplugged it before the firmware upgrade was all the way done ...

In any case I wanted to start from scratch, so I factory reset the wemo, deleted the device from HomeKit and tried to do a new setup.

The problem now - even the device blinks white/orange  - the devices wi-fi doesn't shop up in my iPhone's wi-fi setting (as before).

"From there, open Wi-Fi settings and connect to your Wemo's Wi-Fi. It will looks something like this: Wemo.XXX" - well, great, just I don't see any Wi-Fi's like Wemo.XXX in my iPhone's Wi-Fi settings (or on any other of my devices).

I must have factory reset the plug like more than 10 times now and re did everything as described, but Wemo's Wi-Fi does not show up ...

Hello @zwalex. Try doing a reset on the Wemo device using the app, then use another handheld device for isolation. Please make sure to have both Bluetooth, and cellular mobile network turned OFF when setting it up. Update us on how it goes.

Rowena_B 22017

WEMO Technical Support

Thanks for the swift response!

How would I do a "reset on the Wemo device using the app", if I do not see the device and cannot connect to it?

I already tried another device "for isolation", same thing. 

As I said before. I do not see the Wemo.XXX SSID in my phone's available Wi-Fi's.

I will try it one more time with having Bluetooth and cellular turned off, although I wouldn't how how that could influence wi-fi discovery ...

Is it possible that the device is 'bricked' - by potentially unplugging it while the firmware was still upgrading?

If yes, is there a way to "un-brick" it and how would I go about this ... ?

[ Edited ]

@zwalex

If the same thing happens even with Bluetooth and cellular off, we’d like to have our Escalation Engineers take a look at your case. Send them an email at WeMoCare@belkin.com with the following info.

-Full name/User name
-Phone #

-Location (City, State)

-link to this post for easy reference

-Wemo app Version

-Wemo Firware Version

-Phone model/make and OS version

Zane-22248

Wemo Technical Support

Hm, the above email address (WeMoCare@belkin.com) does not work - I am getting an 550 Invalid Recipient, when trying to send to it.

Please advise - Thanks!

Highlighted

@zwalex wrote:

Hm, the above email address (WeMoCare@belkin.com) does not work - I am getting an 550 Invalid Recipient, when trying to send to it.

Please advise - Thanks!

Apologies for the overlook, zwalex. It should be 'wemocares@belkin.com'. Please let us know if you can be able to send it on that email address. Thank you. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support