WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Your product really sucks

That's the route I just took.  I got a new router and wasted over 4 hours over 2 days trying to get Wemo working again.  I was able to set up every other device I have pretty much instantly, but Wemo?  No way.  Soft rest.  Hard reset.  Delete and reinstall the app.  Sacrifice a goat.  Nothing but an endless loop or error mesages.   This is not the first time this has happened, but it's the last.

So, I ordered a Philips Hue set up.  And I was online with 4 bulbs 10 minutes after opening the box.

I'm in the same opinion as the OP. Constant set up problems, which never work, can't even use the things. Horrible support, piece of crap product. It's been thrown in my trash and they've permanently lost a customer. What a terrible product. I can't say enough bad things about my experience with Belkin and WeMo.

Dude, I am in tech support and this product id GARBAGE!

I can't get this connected on my network to save my life.

I've seen a lot of back and forth on here, good hints, reliable complaints.  My background includes IT, but I am not a Network guru.  I bought a WEMO switch, has hardly ever found the WIFI, I bought a switch with 2 Smart Lights, they used to work, now the unit blinks green then blinks yellow.

I had been with their support a few times, always with new hints and tricks.

Ok, here is the deal the way I see it as a customer, not tech, not anything but a customer and IOT needs to work or what is the sense.  You may not see it this way and that's cool because I have felt both ways.  A product is meant to work and not having to deal with updates that keep coming and coming and hints or tricks or network based work arounds.

It's apparent that even though some work somewhere at times or all times, there is WAY too many problems with WEMO to be a reliable product.  Just having to do hints and tricks and re-tries says a lot, it is not working or perhaps not very compatible.  How can it work and then not work with the same setup.  Retried the same setup, pulled out everything, the WIFI works, distance not a factor, still no switch, NOW, the light based switch is not working.

Could be something I have is not compatible all the time.  Ok, then WEMO needs to have a compatibility list else expect the masses to flame it.  I so wanted it to work, totally the reason I invested $$$ and time in it, now I am FED UP.  I hope it gets fixed, but I also now cannot sell it since I have no idea IF the product has a problem, I am not passing it on.

Bottom line is to me that once you have these many issues and discussions, you have a serious problem overall,  Yes, in spite of those who get perfection, that is good, but the product needs to meet better standards, even any standards.

You may want to see if locking each WeMo device to a static IP works for you. In my router, I added each switch to it's own IP, locked down by it's MAC address. That seemed to make all my switches stable. Even the WeMo Link has been very stable for me. Devices never drop off network in several months now. 12 WeMo devices so far and counting.

Only thing is the Android app needs a lot of work. If I uninstall the app, and reinstall, I should be able to access all my devices through cellular. But the app wont find them until I hop back on my WiFi. Also Away mode and Nest Away mode sometimes doesn't work.

Like you said, this just needs to work. Device is either ON or OFF. Cant get any more complicated then that with a light switch. Bit 1 = ON, Bit 0 = OFF.

Why do you disagree?  This product does suck.  I'm a network engineer, and there is nothing about this product that works consistantly over time.  I managed to get it connected and working a while back.  With only one program in it to have the lights turn on at sunset and off at 10pm.  For some reason, it randomly turns on one or both lights at 6:57 am.  And once a phantom turn on happend, the light(s) would not turn off until I manualy do it through the app.  The phantom turn ons were random.  Sometimes both every morning, and sometimes one of the other every week or so.  But always at 6:57am.  The programed time seemed to also drift over time as if someone was changing the off time a little earlier and earlier.  After contacting tech support and trying the crazy tips and tricks for a few weeks, I realized there are no solutions.  Maybe the builds are very unreliable.  I have been using this for about a year, and the connectivity to the network and the lights were relatively stable.  Maybe 50 drops over the year.  But recently it just dropped, and getting the WiFi to work has been very difficult.  It is simply random.  After reseting the device many times, it has been very difficult to connect to the device with my smart phone to configure it.  No SSID from the Wemo for hours or even a days.  Then when I finally get an SSID, the connection only lasts for a few minutes, and it dissappears for another day or so.  Bottom line is this product does really really suck big time.  The only reason I have not tossed this in the trash a long time ago is because I feel I can fix anything if I persist.  But not this, I finally unplugged it for good.  Even tinkering around with this is a total waste of time as the productline appears to be a major beta that doesn't work properly.  Belkin should pay us for our time and energy in trying to get these garbage devices to work.

WEMO Maker Inventor

It certainly does - the app itself is especially terrible.  And it seems many of the support team has never seen a wemo in real life - they parrot troubleshooting instructions that seldom work and make no sense.  Any support instructions that start with "uninstall and reinstall the app" tells you right away the developers are incompetent - more so because it does fix some things.  You might have more luck with an aftermarket app.  

There are ways to get the wemos to work reliably, though few will disagree with you that it's ridiculous to need to do so.

The hardware itself is pretty good - most of mine run for many, many months without issue and I have quite a few (the Wemo Link and the Wemo Mini being the exception as they've got a few problems with stability).

For example, if you're having trouble finding the device SSID after a the reset you're likely not following the reset instructions exactly.  The length of time when holding down the restore button is important - too long and it doesn't reset.  Seeing the SSID after hours or days for only a short period - It sounds like you're seeing a quick SSID when the device reboots, not the one needed for setup.

Also, when a wemo "drops", power cycle the router and then the wemo to get it back - no need to reset/restore/reconfigure.

The rules engine itself is a horribly designed piece of junk that I abandoned after examining it for less than an hour.

jg

any chance to get the same app for Mac OS ???

thank you

WEMO Maker Inventor

Unfortunately not, but in truth it's not necessary.

AutomationManager works best as a hub, run it on a low end android phone (grab a pay-go from walmart for < $20 bucks, no need to activate it).  Then you use any web browser (from a mac, pc, iphone, linux, etc) to manage your devices from anywhere and that android phone to manage and run the rules and give remote access, an alexa bridge, etc.  

It'll run on a mac if you have one to use as the hub/server, but you'd still need an android device to manage it (one of the emulators with google services support would work but it's a bit tricky).

I have 2 Wemo smart plugs. I didn't have any setup problems, but every other day the device does not show on the app. It gets grayed out. After some hours it will reappear.
I use smart plugs from another company which works reliably like clock work. What's the problem here? Is it the app or the device? I'd love to solve this problem.