WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

iOS app intermittently fails to connect via Wifi; cellular always works

[ Edited ]

I got a Wemo mini plug a couple of months ago. The setup worked perfectly.

The iOS app will intermittently fail to find the plug over wifi. Once it get's into this state, retrying doesn't fix the problem. But if I turn off wifi on my iPhone, forcing it to use the cellular network, that always solves the problem. After that, connection via wifi will work for a while until it fails again.

At first this only happened when I was on a different wifi network from the plug, i.e. at a friend's house. But today it happened for the first time when I was on the same wifi network as a plug, in fact I was standing a couple of feet away from the plug. Switching to a cellular connection fixed it.

This is an intermittent problem; wifi does work some of the time.

Any idea what would cause the app to intermittently fail to find my plug over wifi only? Is there a way to fix it?

Re: iOS app intermittently fails to connect via Wifi; cellular always works

Hi, davelasker. Make sure that the Wemo Mini Smart Plug has the latest firmware. Also, make sure that the Wemo app is up-to-date. Did you observe the same issue when using another iPhone? What's the iOS version of your iPhone?

This occurrence can be a local discovery issue. Try this: Force close the Wemo app, reboot the router, wait for a couple of minutes, and then launch the app.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

[ Edited ]

The problem occurs on both my iPhone and iPad. Both are running iOS 12.0.1. Wemo app is version 1.21 (510003).

I won't be in the same location as the Wemo for another week, but it did update its firmware when I set it up a few weeks ago. I'll check for firmware update and rebooting the router when I am next with it. 

However, the problem also occurs when I am at a different location using a different wifi network. The app intermittently won't find my wemo using the other wifi network, but it works with the cellular network. However, it does work on another wifi network most of the time, so I don't think it's a network configuration issue.

Highlighted

Alright, we'll wait for your update. Should the issue persists after doing the suggested workarounds, please send an email to WemoCares@belkin.com with the following information so that we can have our Escalation Engineers look into this further

▪ your username and link to this post
▪ firmware version of the Wemo devices
▪ your ISP and the model of the router
▪ your contact details (name, city/state, and phone number)

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support