WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

mini smart plugs firmware upgrade issue

Hi, recently I got myself 2 smart mini's and to install them properly I had to turn off my firewall and set up a couple of basic rules. With that said i have a HUGE problem, now everyone connected in my network can turn off or turn on whatever it is connected to them. Im a network experienced guy and I cannot find the way to blacklist the WeMo (until I decide to whitelist it again) to prevent others having the WeMo App (including myself) from accessing it. I blocked the Smart Mini IP address, still other devices can send signals to turn on which shocked me, blocked the Mac Address, same thing and now Im worried and its raising many questions about privacy.

In Summary i want to be the only one able to turn them on or shut them off. HOW ?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: mini smart plugs firmware upgrade issue

The wemos are usually controlled locally, blocking them with your firewall (unless you have a very sophisticated firewall for a home network) only blocks their internet access.

The only way to isolate them is to move them to a separate network segment to which only you have access.  And you'll still need to block them from the internet 'cause anyone who's already connected will still have remote access.  It's possible but it can be a bit fiddly to clean that up.

Hello, rumar4u. Were you able to disable the devices on the Remote Access list? If you have tried that, we'll have our Level 2 Support Team assist you in removing these devices. Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details:

-Phone Number
-Location (State & Country)
-Community Username
-Link to this thread as reference
-Screenshot of the devices that you wanted to be removed from the Remote Access List

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Hi, thanks for your responses. Yes I have a great firewall system at home and Im always testing new configurations and not only I block the internet access, I've tried blocking the complete IP address from every port to and from the WeMo IP address and it still receives communication and the signal to turn them on or off. How ?
WEMO Maker Inventor

Magic Smiley Happy? Local discovery and control is via tcp. Remote is via the wemo calling out to belkins cloud and the cloud responding. Either your fw configuration is wrong or your fw is broken.