WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

wemo light switch on LAN only without internet

I have a wemo lightswitch and besides all the trouble setting it up and the fact that the android app is very buggy it seems like it is not happy to run on a network that is not connected to the internet. I think this is undocumented but I am having a lot of trouble getting it to connect and stay connected. It always gets connected and assigned an ip from my router but does not settle down and the orange light blinks forever. I was able to hook up to the serial console and see what happens as the wemo boots up and there is a lot of trying to get ntp time set.

It is my opinion that if you have a device that is forced to use a phone for the initial setup, as opposed to a built-in web interface, then the app should get the time from the phone and update the wemo. there is no reason it needs to be tied down to the internet.

If anyone has any ideas or experience in setting up a wemo not connected to the internet I would be appreciative.

Thank you.

PS.

PLEASE do not recomend I contact belkin. I tried that and wasted time going in circles. Checking the android version of my phone and being convinced my wifi is not working 100% etc..

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: wemo light switch on LAN only without internet

Interesting, can you tell me how you connected via serial? I don't remember seeing that documented anywhere.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Belkin
Communities Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

I've tried it, there's no problem with wemo's connecting when there's no internet connection.

I would suggest

1. Connect the wemo's with the internet connected and confirm they're configured properly and can be toggled from the app.
  2. Remove internet access from the router, ensure the wemo's can still accessed and toggled from the app.
  3. unplug one or more wemos, plug them back in, verify the connect and can be toggled

This is what I have done and it works fine.  If you're then trying to move the wemo's to a different router with the same SSID it might work, but it isn't as straight forward as you might think.

The belkin app is probably going to struggle, especially when it's not connected to the internet.  You do need to make sure it connects to the isolated part of your network (though I think you know this).

You can use my java WemoServer on a PC or mac (free for simple off/on functions like this), https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java to manage the wemo's and make sure they're working if Belkin's app gives you trouble.

If you're using android my (paid) app on Google Play, "WemoHome" might be useful - it does not use the cloud - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mpp.android.wemo.home&hl=en.  If you try it and it doesn't work out let me know and I'll put a refund through.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

I technically can try your solution of setting up the wemo while connected to the internet and then removing internet. Doing so would not be so great for a few reasons. Firstly the area I want to use the wemo is far from where I have the internet. I actually tried this by wiring the wemo light switch to a plug that i can plug into a regualr outlet and unplugged my router (putting my network offline) and bringing them over to where I have internet access. It is an unnecesary pain. Although that part worked after all the trouble, there is another problem. Using this method I cannot use rules, I assume because the wemo has no idea of the time. If there was a web interface and it had a way to set your own ntp server to use it would help me use my own local time server.

I beleive that there is a lot of potential to use these devices in remote locations far enough from living spaces to have a good wifi connection without a repeater but large enough area that there can be many wemos on one network.

Thanks for offering me to buy an app that does (barely) what belkin should have implemented and opened up originally. Not that there is anything wrong with your app just that you are fixing something that has no reason to be broken.

@Chadster766 wrote:

Interesting, can you tell me how you connected via serial? I don't remember seeing that documented anywhere.

I have the wemo lightswitch fc7030 if you open the case there are two boards one with the relay and power and a second board connected with 3 wires thats screwed on to the face plate that has the low voltage parts like wifi and proccesor. On the low-voltage board there is a serial header with through holes that you can solder to. I dont have the switch with me at the moment so I am not sure which pins are which but its not too difficult to figure it out.

Unfortunately belkin puts a password on the serial terminal so it makes it a little difficult to play around.

Although the wemo uses GPL software they DO NOT have the source code for the fc7030 on their website which they are really supposed to have.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thanks for the info the serial connector. If you can reply with the pinout I might just try it.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Belkin
Communities Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

The Belkin app may need internet access to complete the wemo setup, and you need the wemo setup complete before you can use them at all.  And you'll need it again for a firmware upgrade (when it will absolutely need internet access).

For a rules engine you could use WemoServer (part of WemoManager, you'd use that instead of WemoHome) that runs the rules itself instead of delegating them to the wemo's.  There's a web interface for some function though the WemoServer is intended to be managed from WemoManager remotely.

As to using the belkin app (and it's cloud based design) I of course agree with your complaints (or my apps wouldn't exist).  However you're not planning to have the wemo's connected to the internet, so you're obviously not planning to access them remotely.  I didn't quite catch what you mean by WemoHome "barely" doing what you need - I take no offense, just trying understand what's missing.

Mike
WEMO Maker Inventor

...and no kidding on the freeware in the belkin app and wemo's - some of it isn't much good, and it's not clear they're complying with all of the license agreements - but I ain't no lawyer...

Mike

I can agree contacting Belkin is a waste of time. I've been dealing with them by phone and email for 120 days on 3 major issues and they have resolved nothing even though they know there are serious problems.

I suggest giving up now and finding another product.

At least you have already reported the challenges you are encountering with your Belkin devices. Those might be added to the future updates that they are working on and will be releasing.