WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

About to purchase several Wemo Dimmers - advice please

Hello,

Thought I would post here before making the purchase. I am about to pull the trigger on several Wemo Dimmers. I have a few concerns I wanted to clear before investing in Wemo:
1) Is it true that when the dimmer losses connectivity that even if you are physically at the switch, it still won't control the lights? 
2) Does the switch ever go into a state where being physically at the switch still doesnt work?
3) When main power goes out and returns, does the dimmer return to ON or OFF? 

I care a lot about reliability as I am a landlord. The place is also vacant often and don't want to return to lights all switched ON after a power failure. My other option is Lutron Caseta system. But I love the asthetic and feature set of Wemo. 

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: About to purchase several Wemo Dimmers - advice please

1) The dimmer can be manually controlled at the switch even when the WiFi is out.
2) Only if the dimmer switch has had some hardware failure of some kind.
3) After a power failure the switch is restored in the OFF state.

One word of caution: Belkin has an unresolved (and publicly unacknowledged) problem where devices get stuck paired to the last device to control them. They can only force decoupling if you yell and scream until you get to their third-tier technical support. What this means is you will probably wind up with a tenant whose lights get controlled seemingly at random, because even though you did a full reset of the WeMo when the previous tenant moved out, the previous tenant will still be able to see the dimmer in their app.

Your responses have been extremely helpful, thanks for that!

One last question, is there a delay between changing the brightness at the physical switch? A delay over the network or alex etc is fine....

No delay on the manual operation of the switch.  It is as fluid and responsive as a standard dimmer.

[ Edited ]

I would be wary of purchasing WeMo products at all. You may not have issues at first, if you're lucky, but at one point most definitely and once it kicks in it's a never ending slope of problems. More often than not merely setting up a WeMo product is an issue, their app, their software and firmware in general is atrocious to say the least. Unless you use 3rd party applications for WeMo, and even then you still need to rely on WeMo app from time to time, Lutron is a better and far more reliable choice in my opinion, being aesthetically beautiful is the only thing WeMo has going for it.

This is all from my personal experience though, as I had nothing but issues with WeMo despite working in IT industry, and if you look around there are **bleep** ton of people with the same experience as well.

After much research I will just go with the Lutron's. I am getting about a dozen dimmers and it seems the Wemo, although looks amazing and has great features, it is a little lower on the "commercial reliability" scale . I would probably go for Wemo if I wasn't a landloard, or for the home I live in, but a dozen wifi endpoints just seems like a recipe for future headaches with any non technical tenants. 

Thanks all!

Yeah. I'm wishing I had not gone with Wemo. The lack of a 3-way switch has made it a dead-end product.