WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advice for controlling device that constantly cycles in and out <2w idle (hair straightener)

I am using a WEMO plug to help make sure things get turned off.  My wife's hair straightener cycles in and out of <2w when it heats up.  So when it gets to the max temp, it idles at <2w and then turns on again when it needs to heat it up again.  This is messing up the rules I have to auto turn it off if it's been on for more than 10min since when it cycles into idle the 10min timer gets reset.  Any ideas for how to manage this?

Expert

Re: Advice for controlling device that constantly cycles in and out <2w idle (hair straightener)

Hi, weeweemomo.

Can we know the exact model number of Wemo device? Are you using a Wemo Insight Switch? If yes, you can try to disable the threshold. The rules should not be affected even if the threshold is below consumption.

Coleen_ 21984
Wemo Technical Support
Highlighted

Re: Advice for controlling device that constantly cycles in and out <2w idle (hair straightener)

Sorry forgot that.  It's an Insight plug.  DeviceID=WeMo.Insight.45D. 

How do I disable the threshold?  In the settings, it only let's me go down to 2w.

Expert

Sorry for the misleading information, weeweemomo. Wemo Insight does not allow disabling the threshold. 

We can suggest to use the switches that does not have threshold, Wemo Mini(F7C063) or the Wemo Switch(F7C027).

Coleen_ 21984
Wemo Technical Support

Thanks.  So the mini can disable the threshold so that any wattage being used will be detected?  Is there a reason why the Insight doesn't have this as well?

Any other suggestions for how I might be able to do this without having to buy a new plug?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Nope.  Only the insight measures current, the mini won't work for this, Coleen is confused.

I'm pretty sure you can't do what you want with the wemo rules.   The threshold idea of Belkin's is nonsense anyway...  You *might* be able to do it with IFTTT, but YMMV on whether you can trust it or it will respond in time.  A hub system like AutomationManager (see my signature) definitely does this quite easily.  Some non-hub type aftermarket apps might do it, but you'd need to be at home with your phone for it to work (so if you go out and leave it on that would not be good but you might be able to check and control it remotely it with the belkin app).

Thanks.  Too bad about not having any easy support for this.  For now, I'll just sort of workaround it by making a shutoff scheduled task for every hour.  At least I get notified each time it powers on after coming out of idle since I have that notification setup.