WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Alexa and light bulbs. Issue with dimming all of a sudden

So I have been using alexa for my light bulbs in my family room, and using the dimming functions and all that.

Well 2-3 days ago they stopped dimming. I ask alexa to set lamps (something I’ve been using since the beginning) and it responds with lamps doesn’t support that.

Has anyone had this issue? It works on the wemo app when I dim them, and I’ve unplugged the link as well.

Re: Alexa and light bulbs. Issue with dimming all of a sudden

I have just tried to delete them and regroup them in the alexa

We'd like to get a better picture of your setup, Ac921ol. What Wemo device/s did you integrate with Alexa to dim your bulbs? Also, is Alexa able to turn On and Off the bulbs? We'll sort this out. 

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

I have the same issue. I also cannot control any bulbs from routines.

I have a wemo link and wemo bulbs connected to alexa. (Plus a bunch of other wemo devices, Light switches, plugs, Nest) and alexa is able to turn off my lamps, just won’t dim anymore.

Only way I can dim is with the wemo app.

Still looking for that help.

My wemo light bulbs turn on and off with alexa, they just won’t dim. It says lamps doesn’t support that (group of 2 bulbs)

Ac921ol

Our Wemo bulbs should not really work with Alexa. What we can advise is to use IFTTT instead, like associating the Wemo Lightning Service and the Amazon Alexa via IFTTT.

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted

Bulbs on the Link have worked with Alexa since March. IFTTT is not a viable platform for controlling smart home devices. Commands can take minutes to run.

Yeah, wemo bulbs have worked since I’ve had alexa. And that’s been a year or so, not sure why all of a sudden they would not work.

And ifttt is 100% not a viable option.

Please tell me what’s going on here.

I've also been having this issue for a few weeks now. This definitely worked just fine before. I believe everything broke shortly after Amazon updated the Alexa app. Nevertheless, any WeMo bulbs that show up in the Alexa app, now just show an on/off state, and no longer support dimming. If I ask Alexa to dim my WeMo bulbs, she says it's not supported. If I ask for the lights to turn on or off, she'll do it about 50% of the time.

I'd say 60% of the time Alexa has to talk to the WeMo Link, something fails. I'd say of the remaining 40%, about 30% of the time Alexa tells me 'I didn't hear back from your devices' but they'll change states a few seconds later. So really it only works properly about 10% of the time.

The devices that aren't controlled by the WeMo Link (switch, outlet, motion sensor, etc) all work fine, but anything that is controlled by the Link, performs terribly. This has been a problem since day one. The default WeMo app has always been the worst, but there have been viable solutions for macOS and iOS, but now that I've moved away from controlling my home with apps, WeMo seems to be useless.

At one point, I had 18 WeMo bulbs, but of those 18, seven have failed entirely. My latest one croaked just this week. All inside bulbs that don't get moved, but have just stopped working. I literally have a drawer full of WeMo bulbs that do absolutely nothing, many of them less than a year old, and all failed within a year. I don't know why I hold on to them, because the terrible customer service prevents me from replacing them, since they want me to pay S&H for a $20 bulb that doesn't work because of a manufacturing defect on their end.

I'd say this is just part of owning a "smart" home, but since I started using the Philips Hue's well over a year ago, every single one of those just work. I'm slowly swapping out all my WeMo bulbs for Hue bulbs because Belkin can't seem to get their stuff together. As much as I hate WeMo now, I'd still like for my existing devices to work as I phase them out.

If I had to guess, I'd say Belkin is ready to release the new WeMo Link that works with HomeKit (after like 4 years of asking), and they'll want people to upgrade to that. They'll say some BS about how the WeMo bulbs were never built for Alexa, and that the new hub will support Alexa, even though they've been supported for the past year...

Belkin, you were one of my favorite brands for years, but WeMo, along with some other QC issues on Belkin products, has turned me off of Belkin for life.

So with that rant over, I'm with everyone else on this thread. WeMo doesn't dim with Alexa now.

Unrelated, but I also can't control WeMo lights with my app if I'm on the same network, but on the 5GHz band. This has been an issue for well over a year as well. 'Remote Access' is enabled, and works when on LTE, just not WiFi that isn't the same band frequency. I have too many "bugs" with WeMo to report them all, and when I do report things in detail, I get responses back that ask if I've tried turning it off and back on... Be better Belkin.