WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Alternative to Wemo Maker

Since the Wemo Maker is discontinued, I'd like to find an alternative for my use case. I'm using it to control a low voltage circuit for a fireplace, on and off only, no sensor used. 

The simplest solution  i can think of is a relay that plugs into a Wemo Switch and makes or breaks the low voltage connection based on whether the 110 at the switch is on or off.

Anyone know if such a relay exists?

Thanks

Re: Alternative to Wemo Maker

I had the same issue. The solution I went with was to pick up this relay from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017743I7S.

Our fireplace conveniently has an outlet hidden inside, so the relay was connected to the same low voltage circuit as the flip switch, then plugged into a Wemo outlet into the hidden fireplace outlet. Whenever either the flip switch or power to the relay is on, the fireplace is on. I also put a timer on the Wemo outlet to shut off after 45min.

This setup is great for us because we can still use the flip switch, as well as tell Alexa to turn on/off "The Fireplace" (Wemo outlet).

Assuming you have a close/hidden power outlet, this might work - and it only took about 10 minutes to set up.

The power of WeMo Maker wasn't so much the box with the relays and sensor inputs -- it was the integration into the WeMo ecosystem, the awesome WeMo app and the proxy functionality which already exists with WeMo -- namely IFTTT

There are ton of comparable solutions, sure but then one must use yet another API, another app and so forth

I so miss Wemo Maker - what a great product it was...

WEMO Maker Inventor

I found the maker to be an overpriced limited piece of junk and if I hadn't got one for free (that's the "inventor" tag belkin added to my signature) I wouldn't have one.  I would certainly not have purchased one at the original $80... 

Bilim's link is a pointer to instructions to build a replacement with more function for < $10.  It integrates with my app and so then with alexa and echo/dot, google assistant and home, IFTTT, Stringify, wemo, tp link, and philips hue.  For what they charge on ebay you could "remaker" your entire home...

[ Edited ]

Did you find a replacement? I have two propane fireplaces with wall thermostats (microvolt off of the pilot thermopile)

I found a PCB that I was able to mount on the back of the thermostat and powered it with a PCB mounted 110v AC> 5v DC power supplyWiFi switch behind Thermostat .jpg. It has it's own app, but it is Alexa compatible. 

Sonoff WiFi

drop me a line at kelly.l.gann@gmail.com and I can detail how it worked for me. It's so cool to tell Alexa to turn on the fireplace.. :-)

WEMO Maker Inventor

If you can solder you can re-flash the sonoffs with any number of custom images so that you don't need to rely on a 3rd party's cloud service managed in/by a foreign country to control your fireplace...  Search google for ESP8266 or check out the ESP8266 link in my signature.  Re-flashed sonoffs can be managed by AutomationManager and many other similar apps.

It looks like everyone has solved this problem differently, but I've built several Wemo Maker replacements out of a 12 v wall wart adapter and a readily available relay at Amazon.  Its a 12 volt relay that can be set via pin switches to shut off after a momemtary (or longer) 'on.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFUG3KK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its the Geri DC 12V Delay Relay Board... about $10.

The only problem, of course, is that the Wemo switch itself needs to be turned off manually (i.e., a toggle) to reset the relay for the next event.  Haven't solved that yet, but like others I've programmed an hourly 'turn off' in case I forget.

There are 110 VAC various current rating electromechanical relays at any big box store. Then there are optocoupled relays and Place. Any of these would work.
Highlighted

There are 110 VAC various current rating electromechanical relays at any big box store. Then there are optocoupled relays and PLCs. Any of these would work.