WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Away Mode not working for Wemo Light Switches

Background - I have five Wemo devices: 1 Original Wemo Switch Smart Plug, 2 Wemo Mini Smart Plugs, and 2 Wemo Light Switches.  I can control all of these devices via the Wemo Android app, app version 1.18 (102).  Everything turns on and off as expected when I use the app.  My Mini Smart Plugs work well with scheduled rules, and when tied to a Nest thermostat.

Problem - I have an Away Mode rule for the original smart plug and the 2 light switches.  The smart plug works with Away Mode, but the light switches never come on.  I have tried deleting all of my rules, resetting the light switches, disabling remote access, using a different wifi network, etc.  No matter what I do, the light switches never come on when tied to an Away Mode rule.  Additionally, they only occasionally come on if I create a schedule rule.  The smart plug has none of these issues, and works flawlessly in Away Mode.

One additional bothersome detail.  Both light switches are running firmware version WW_2.00.10966.PVT-OWRT-LS.  However, one of them frequently shows "Upgrade Failed" in the app.  It's not there always, but it's enough to be annoying.  They are both running the same firmware version.  I have tried resetting the light switch and going through the entire setup process.  That did not resolve the issue.

My only reason for purchasing the two light switches was for Away Mode, since it works so well on my smart plug.  Without Away Mode, these light switches are a complete waste of money for me.

Re: Away Mode not working for Wemo Light Switches

Hello, djb123. This is actually the first time that we've encountered this issue because the Wemo Light Switch is designed to work with the Away mode rule. It looks like you've done the basic workarounds and you've pretty much isolated the issue. At this point, we'd like to hand your case over to our 2nd level Support Team so our Escalation Engineers can work with you and conduct further diagnosis:

• Full Name:
  • Phone Number:
  • Location (state/country):
  • Community Username:
  • Link to this Community Post (for reference):

We'll be waiting.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks, Dennis.  Is there any way I can provide my private information without posting to a public forum?

@djb123: My sincerest apologies for the oversight. Please e-mail us the following details at WemoCares@belkin.com so our E-mail Support Team can endorse your case to our Escalation Engineers.

We'll be waiting.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks, just sent my info.

Still waiting on a reply to my info, but in the meantime I have done some additional troubleshooting.  I had an association between my Nest thermost and my Wemo devices.  I had a Nest "Home & Away" rule that turned off my Wemo Mini attached to an under-sink hot water heater.  This rule works great.  Anyway, I deleted this rule and disassociated my Nest account from my wemo account.  That had no effect.  Smiley Sad

I also bought an additional Wemo Mini Switch.  So, I deleted my "Away Mode" rule and created a new "Away Mode" rule from scratch.  I added my Original Wemo Switch, my two Wemo Light Switches, and one Wemo Mini Switch to this "Away Mode" rule.  I still only get the Original Wemo Switch turning on and off while this rule is active.  None of my other Wemo devices ever turn on or off.  I can turn them all on and off through the Wemo app on my phone.  I have tried a sunset to sunrise rule, and a 00:01 to 23:59 daily rule.

I also tried creating a new "Away Mode" rule without including my Original Wemo Switch in the rule.  That had no effect.  My other three Wemo devices never came on when the rule was active.

Thank you for giving us an update, djb123. Don't worry because our E-mail Support will attend to your concern as soon as possible, and rest assured that they will include this update that you reported when they escalate your case to our 2nd level Support Team.  

We appreciate your cooperation regarding this matter. 

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks.  I have been contacted by support and am just now getting a chance to do some troubleshooting.  They have asked me to disable and enable Remote Access, then create the Away Mode rule again and to let them know if this makes any difference.  Working on that now.

Success!

Through some combination of disabling Remote Access, and also using the "Forget and Disable" option on the Remote Access settings page, my Away Mode rule is now working for my Light Switches and other switches.

What fixed it?  I'm not sure.  However, when I'm looking at the Remote Access settings, there is a Devices Connected section.  I see four different "devices" listed there, including an old phone of mine, and my mother's phone.  I have turned them all to the Off setting. So, I have a feeling that something in this list was causing a problem.

Disregard.  The problem has returned.  I've emailed support again.