WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Bad firmware update turns lights off within seconds

[ Edited ]

So oddly enough I was having the same issue over the last few days with my Wemo Mini Wifi Smart Plug. I was on my Android phone and it kept trying to push the same update over and over again. It kept saying failed over and over again and then it was say Hooray and Successful and blah blah blah. That was version 11143 and then of course my device would shut off a second after I turned it on. I have tons of these things so I was pissed. 

The odd thing is that I noticed that a couple nights ago something had fixed it for me and my devices went to 11299. I could not figure out how my devices downgraded. I also have iOS devices. So I fired up my Android device and noticed that it was trying to push 11143. After that it would fail a couple times and then it was successful. 

I fired up my iPad and ran the update there. Of course it took bit there but it worked on the first try and it was 11299. 

The Android devices are trying to push 11143 and that is what is messing the Smart Plugs up. 

To fix it use an iOS device and when the Android devices asks to update the firmware wait until Wemo fixes it. The issue is with the recent Wemo Android update. I have tried this twice to test it. 

So those of us who only have Android are screwed, unlesss we manually reset the minis and rebuild the rules from scratch. WHERE IS WEMO SUPPORT ON THIS ISSUE?  ANYONE?

Hello there everyone! We do apologize for the delayed response. Please know that we understand where you're coming from. Be advised that we are aware on the said occurrence, and our engineering team is already looking into this matter. We'd also like to inform you that there's still no ETA for a fix yet. Thank you. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support
jld

For now, is there any temporary fix, e.g., factory default?

For what it's worth, I was able to fix in ~2 minutes using my work iPhone (personal phone is Android). I just installed the wemo app and it connected to my plugs. Clicked update firmware and it did, resolving the issue.

Inviting over a friend with an iPhone might be the quickest, simplest fix for now
Highlighted

Everyone, thank you for sharing your observations and workarounds. For those who are still experiencing the issue, please send an email to WemoCares@belkin.com with the following info that can help us with the investigation

▪ MAC address and serial number of the affected smart plug
▪ SSID of the network to which the smart plug belongs
▪ Wemo app version
▪ model and OS version of the handheld device you are using for the Wemo app
▪ your username and link to this thread for reference
▪ your name
▪ city/state
▪ contact number

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

The "ios" fix worked for me too!  Curiously, the Android app is still confused, thinking a previous update is still in progress and running generally very slowly.

Reset one via the app, now it works fine. Another somehow rolled itself back to the 11299 and is behaving itself. All the rest turn off automatically after a second and are on the 11143 version. Tried resetting just the name and rules, and just the wifi, but looks like it takes a full reset to get it to work.

Can't use the iOS trick, so can't verify if that works or not. (on Android phone, no iPad to tinker with)

Was prompted for an update to 11299 so letting that run, we'll see what that breaks or fixes.

Same here, Kackygreen!  The firmware updates seem to be referencing improvements to iProducts (while simultaneously hanging Android products out to dry).  Belkin Support is completely useless.."Try restarting the router"..."Try reinstalling the Wemo app"..."Try resetting the mini-plug"..  I returned one of my eight mini-plugs a few weeks ago due to faulty firmware and syncing problems.  Thank goodness for Costco's liberal return policy. The other seven are going back on Monday!!

11299 firmware fixed this issue for me. Not without a headache of course. It updated to 11299 from 11143 and then back to 11143 and then again to 11299. So lame but at least I don't have the issue now. I suggest letting them update one at a time to make sure they get 11299