WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Belkin, let's call it a day.

[ Edited ]

ATTENTION BELKIN:

Let's face it. Wemo is a bust. You are being surpassed by many other companies in the smart home industry-  Control4, Smartthings, Insteon, etc...

Need proof? Just look at the wemo community website. The number of new posts and replies to existing posts has dramatically decreased in the last year. Even then, most posts are people having connectivity issues or app problems. 

I got into the smart home movement with wemo in early 2015. I started with a wemo plug. I then moved to a wemo starter kit and slowly added bulbs. Slowly adding bulbs equaled slowly adding problems. For example: bulbs not detected, app not recognizing bulbs, bulbs being shown as powered on in app, but physically being off or vice versa.  Belkin employees promised firmware or app updates to fix known problems....those updates never happened or they were ineffective.  I don't need to mention that I've had around 6 DEFECTIVE WEMO bulbs returned directly to belkin for refund or replacement, but I just did. 

I have since moved moved onto Samsung Smartthings which offers a wide range of both hardware and community based software developments thanks to their open API. Wemo's API is not open. The best part of switching to Smartthings?  My wemo products are compatible. All of my switches and Wemo branded LED  bulbs synched right up to the Samsung Smartthings hub.

I frequently visit the Wemo community website to see if anything has changed since I've switched to Samsung Smartthings. Nothing's changed. People are still posting with the same issues that frustrated me in 2015. 

For those of you struggling with Wemo, there are other options. Do your research. Read online reviews. 

Hang it up Belkin. Just because you can develop smart home products doesn't mean you should.  

Re: Belkin, let's call it a day.

I also have a smartthings hub and connect the bulbs directly and use the smartthings app to control the lights (actually probably use alexa more now). The bulbs apparently are being discontinued so have come down a lot in price so that's kinda good for us but perhaps an indictment of how Wemo is performing.

My insight switch doesn't send notifcations as per the rules like it says it will, but I noticed the firmware updated recently, as did the android app. So, apparently they're still working on and improving things (though I've seen no improvements)

On the Echo/Dot/Tap forums, a lot of people are using other branded smart switches eg TP Link and finding them highly reliable thus far, which seems a far cry from Belkin currently.

It seems sad that a company like Belkin who was one of the first in the affordable smart home market have not managed to iron out the wrinkles

That's because they are busy making phone cases. That's what America gets when a large corporation tries to ride a wave. Remember the Amazon fire phone?  How about crystal Pepsi?

Highlighted

It's good to see you on these pages Eric182

I reckon you are probably right, but I think that the WeMo hardware is basically just fine. This the app and the firmware that is causing the problems and the app's limitation to control only one location is a big drawback.

What do you think? Is it the hardware, the software or both in your experience?

Regards

Pete

I agree that the app and firmware are the problem. Instead of making stability and reliability the highest priorities, Belkin has focused on...well, I don't know what. I guess adding slow cookers.

I haven't bought into Smartthings or Alexa (I'm waiting for Google Home), but I use Automation Manager as my rules server. It's so much better than waiting for rules to go out to the Internet and come back to my house.

My original Wemo smart plugs and motion sensor run as well as the switches I've bought this past year. My only real gripe is that I can't get the firmware to update reliably. I added two switches today and that finally triggered the notification, but only the existing switches updated. The new ones are still stuck on old firmware and now I can't get them to update.

I'm lucky, I barely ever have issues with my wemo products, but the smart things hub is $50 off right now, and I like how I can use all type of different switches with ST.

Maybe this is a case of, if it ain't broke don't change it.

indeed. farewell wemo. just bought a smartthings kit because of the sale and i will be moving everything to it (good thing wemo is compatible with smartthings)

How does wemo react with the ST hub? Any delay? Any drops?
I see the hub is going for only $50 so now might be the time to try it and see how it works with my wemo items and slow start getting away from wemo.

I am somewhat confused by this thread. Does smartthings allow us to bypass dependency of WEMO servers and firmware to control WEMO devices? If the WEMO devices still require connection to WEMO servers I am wondering if and how Smartthings improves function  and/or reliabiltiy of WEMO devices?

The Wemo plugs and the wemo LED light bulbs work with Smartthings. They do not require server connection to Wemo.

The only time you would need to connect them to the wemo server again after associating them to Smartthings is if you wanted to update the firmware.

I have two wall socket plugs and nine Wemo lightbulbs connected to my SmartThings hub. And they're a lot more reliable with Smartthings.

https://www.smartthings.com/works-with-smartthings/light-bulbs/belkin-wemo-led-bulb