WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't connect WeMo Switch to BT Smart Hub

I'm unable to connect my WeMo Switch to the new BT Smart Hub that we've got despite having no previous issues connecting the WeMo to a Sky broadband router.

I keep getting the following message when I attempt to connect to the Switch: 'Unable to join the network WeMo.Switch.F34'

The light on the WeMo seems to pretty much constantly flash amber. At first I thought there could be a fault with the switch, but I have another Switch that's also got the same problem - and I find it unlikely that both would be faulty at the same time.

I've had several web chats with both Belkin and BT but had no luck with either.

Would anyone be able to offer any help or advice on how I can rectify this problem?

Thanks,
Simon

Re: Can't connect WeMo Switch to BT Smart Hub

[ Edited ]

Hello SimonG

Have you factory reset your WeMo? If not, you need to proceed thus:

Since you've got a new router you'll have a new SSID (the router's name on your wifi) and a new password. If that's the case you need to do a factory reset on your WeM(s) and start again as you did when you first set it/them up. As it is your WeMo is trying to log on with your old router's credentials.

To do this you need to unplug your WeMo, locate the small button on the back and press it whilst plugging the WeMo back in. You need to hold the button pressed for five seconds after plugging it in. The WeMo will go through its boot-up sequence, and you can access it in the app as you did first off. Just follow the on screen instructions. You'll need your router's name and password naturally. Once you've done that it should log on to your new router. Your WeMo might ask for updates to its firmware in the app too.

Just a further note, your router needs to be on the 2.4GHz wifi band for WeMo. You can't set up WeMo on the 5GHz band.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your reply Pete.

I've tried a factory reset several times and gone through the app to set up the Switch again - as I did the first time I set it up - going into iOS settings, and selecting the WeMo network that shows up in the list. It's when I try to connect to this that I keep getting the 'Unable to join the network WeMo.Switch.F34' error message.

[ Edited ]

Well, sorry I couldn't help SimonG

I'm on Android too, so we're not reading off the same script.

Hang around though, there are loads of experts reading these pages. Hopefully someone will step in with better advice.

Regards

Pete

Are you not seeing an alternating amber/blue light? If not, then switch isn't factory reset and is trying to reconnect to previous Wifi router. I think I have seen that a few times where setup Wifi name broadcasts when it can't find the Wifi router. It's not possible to connect to it though.

Hi Bilim, the Switch seems to be intermitting between flashing amber and flashing amber and blue.

[ Edited ]

Ok.. that's reset then.

Have you tried connecting with IOS with just Wifi turned on? or is it a Wifi only IOS device?

What IOS device are you using?

Full updated with Wemo app version that was released the last couple days?

EDIT:  Am I reading this right you aren't even getting to point of connecting to router?  Your IOS device can't connect to the factory reset Wemo?

Hi Bilim,

I'm using an iPhone on the latest version of iOS and the WeMo app is up-to-date with the latest version.

To answer your question; no I can't connect my iPhone to the WeMo network (that only occasionally) pops-up in the Network list within Settings.

Any chance you have another IOS or Android device you could isolate problem to Wemo or some odd issue with iPhone?

Any other Wemo's in your house?

Maybe some overbearing Wifi interference? As a test can you see if you can connect to it with your Wifi router turned off?

I've never had one do this in a factory reset state so really pulling at straws.

Hi again Bilim,

Apologies for the delay. I have another WeMo Switch in the house, which is currently unplugged, but I've gone through the same process of resetting and had no luck with that either.

I've tried turning the BT Smart Hub router off and tried connect to the WeMo from both my iPhone and an iPad and received the 'Unable to join the network WeMo.Switch.F34' error message.

BT suggested that I'd need to open port connections on my routers firewall to enable the WeMo to work - I've tried this but had no luck finding the WeMo as the list of devices only features names such as iPhone, iPad etc and has a list of IP addresses.

Any further help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon