WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Can't connect WeMo Switch to BT Smart Hub

[ Edited ]

Let me clarify with you here.

Your iPhone & iPad can connect to the Wemo?...

it's the step after you have assigned Wifi and then it is timing out while attempting to connect Wemo to Wif?

If phone/iPad can't connect to Wemo with router off...then the new router is a red herring as that isn't part of the process until you have gotten to the Wifi connect part of the Belkin app setup wizard.

Thanks Belim. I'm unable to connect to the WeMo from either my iPhone or iPad.

Following the onscreen directions I first have to connect to the WeMo from my device before I can connect that to my router, which I'm unable to do.

I'm trying to figure out where the problem lies - is it with the WeMo(s) or the router.
WEMO Maker Inventor

This message 'Unable to join the network WeMo.Switch.F34' means the problem is with your phone, so you can eliminate the router and probably the wemo from the possible issues.  BTW, be sure to close any ports BT told you to open, it's not safe to leave them open.

Check your phone(s) to see if there's an option "prefer connections to the internet" and if so, unselect it before joining the wemo switch access point.

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

I've had a look through my iPhone's Settings in iOS and I can't find anything the relates to 'prefer connections to the internet'

I've read about and been told that a WeMo Switch only operates on a 2.4gHz network.

Would the fact that my BT Smart Hub router has both 2.4 and 5gHz network channels cause a problem?

When I've separated the channels and turned off the 5gHz channel I still can't connect to the WeMo.

Also when I have separated the channels, a '5' is assigned to the 5gHz channel which my iPhone seems to be running on - not sure if this is where the problem lies?

Thanks for any further help.
WEMO Maker Inventor

It will, but you're not getting that far.  Your phone can't join the wemo's AP, and until you do that it's got nothing to do with your router.

On android the option is usually under advanced settings depending on the version.

I don't use apple products so I can't help much there, though I may have read others having success by turning off data access to force the phone to stay connected to wifi.  You may have more luck with a different, perhaps older, device.

Try turning on Airplane mode, then enable Wifi, then connect to the 2.4Ghz network. See if anything changes with setup.

Thanks again Mike, I appreciate your on-going advice.

I've tried turning mobile data off, but I'm still getting the 'Unable to connect...' error message.

Unforuranly, I can't see anything within the iOS Settings that may be able to help me further. I've also tried to connect via an iPad, which is running a recent version of iOS (I have a OS update pending), but had no luck with this either.

Thanks Bilim - I've tried switching to Airplane mode and connecting to wi-fi but I'm still getting the same error message.

Have you tried reloading the app as well? Not likely to fix this but if other Wemo is doing the same thing your IOS devices are not playing with your Wemos for some reason. Do you know if Wemos were on the latest firmware?