WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Can't connect WeMo Switch to BT Smart Hub

Hi Bilim - I've tried deleting and re-installing the WeMo app, but still have the same problem.

I like to keep up-to-date with firmware so to the best of my knowledge the WeMo firmware is the latest.

Aside from getting a friend or family member to try it on their device you could try resetting the network settings on your IOS device as a test.

WARNING: This will require you re-establish any Wifi connection you have ever setup on that device.

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

My partner has also previously tried connnecting to the WeMo with no success. I'll try resetting the network settings and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

My partner has tried to connect to the WeMo via her iPhone with no success either. I've not yet tried resetting network settings, but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

Thanks.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Well, this seems to be a very rare problem.  Most everyone else can connect to the wemo's access point with their phone (though quite a few get tripped up by the "prefer internet connections" settings) and don't run into problems until they try to connect the wemo to their router. 

To confirm, you're saying that even before you start the wemo app you get the message that the phone itself cannot connect to the wemo's dedicated access point, right?  So it's nothing to do with the wemo app or your router, it's strictly an issue between your phone and the wemos.

It could well be that both wemos have the same defect (though I agree that's unlikely).  It could be both phones are the rare case that won't allow connection to a non-internet connected non-encrypted wifi access point.  Are they both the same model?

Ideas remaining from me:

1) Quadruple check the instructions to make sure you're not missing a step.

2) Remove ALL of your phone's saved wifi definitions so that they only connection choice is the wemo's local AP and turn off network data (to be sure use airplane mode then reactivate wifi separately if it's possible)

3) Try an android emulator like genymotion on a pc to see if you can convince it to run the belkin app and connect (this is pretty complicated)

4) Buy a low end PAYG (don't pay to activate it) or ebay android device to use for setting up the wemos

Thanks for you further suggestions.

I've also got a Sonos 1 speaker that is also set up in the same way as the WeMo, in that on initial set-up you connect to the temporary Sonos network and once connected you then connect the Sonos to our home network. I tried this last night from my iPhone and had no problems at all.

Not an update as such, but thought I'd mention it.

I've got an old Android phone, that I'm going to try powering up and I'll attempt to connect to the WeMo via that too.

Did the Android work for you?  Are they both just Wemo switches?

Expert

@SimonG

We'd like to get our support team to assist you further. Send us an email at WEMOCares@belkin.com  with your contact details and the link to this community post. 

Chiqui-17359

WEMO Technical Support  

I've got a similar problem I believe; Can get as far as discovering wifi networks (after having to disable my cell connection to stay on the right wifi), and put in what I 100% know is the correct password for the correct AP. It'll sit and think to itself for a while, and then tell me I'm wrong. 

Things I've tried to resolve;

1) The Smart Hub joins it's bands so there are common SSID's between 2.4G and 5G channels. I separated the channels and it did no good.

2) Disabled BT's "Smart Setup" option

3) Switched the "Wireless Mode" setting to Compatibility mode, to no effect. (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56287/~/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-sm...)

At this point I've got a pointless product and am starting to look for alternatives.