WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Change wifi password

This is a huge pain.  I am regretting that I have invested so much in WeMo devices.  Is there any plan in development to allow better control over wifi connection?

Maybe I am missing something..  Can you just use the same SSID and password wit ha new router?  Wouldn't the camera just simly reconnect after resetting them possibily  

Expert

@kgowen

Yes, you can. Normally, it does. But sometimes, you need to manually reconnect it depending on the router. 

Chiqui-17359

WEMO Technical Support  

Hi, has there been any update on this issue?  It is not acceptable of course to have to lose all settings and rules just to change a wifi password.  This goes against security best practices.  Is there any way at all to workaround this while it is (hopefully) being addressed?  

Thanks! 

Ian

WEMO Maker Inventor

The solution given on the previous page (use the "reset options" in the app to only reset the wifi) is certainly crappy, but it does preserve all of your other settings.  Reset the wifi on all of your wemos, change your wifi password, then connect to each one at a time and restore it to the new network/password.  You'll probably have to uninstall/reinstall the app before you restore to force it to "forget" your original wifi settings.

I may be missing something really obvious here but using the current version of the Android app - there is no "Reset Wi-Fi Settings" option from the "Reset Options" screen.

I'm pulling my hair out here.

I have both networks up and running and this is the ONLY item that I can't get migrated across !

WEMO Maker Inventor

Open the belkin app, then hit the "pencil" in the top menu.  Touch the little ">" for the device you want to change, then "Reset Options" and you'll hvae a choice between the name, etc, wifi, or all.

I did 8 devices yesterday back and forth so I have no hair left to pull Smiley Happy.  The smoothest was to reset wifi on all first, then clear the belkin app data.  Connect the phone to the new SSID first, and then to the first wemo device's access point.  Configure to remember settings (I find it offensive that the belkin app now insists on collecting my email address just for spam) and setup the first wemo.  Check the first one works, then you can move onto the others if you have more than one ignoring any "setup failed" warnings.

It is convenient to have the whole house wired through Wemo, but just as inconvenient we you get a new router or wifi and need to reset everything. Almost not worth it.

[ Edited ]

Yes, Magicdoty

That can be tedious, but if you have no security concerns and haven't reset your WeMos yet you can change your new router's SSID and password to the same as the old one was your WeMos will log on and start working as if nothing had changed.

Regards

Pete