WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Devices unresponsive to alexa app

It failed twice more. Then turned them on with long lags between each. It really does seem like it might be a server issue since the wemo cloud server communicates with the Amazon servers to manipulate the devices. Or at least that is my understanding of the process.

8 am on 1-5-18...still not working with Alexa...

I was having this problem and resolved it by disabling the Wemo skill and removing the devices.  I then had Alexa discover the devices without enabling the wemo skill.  Alexa no longer needs the skill enabled to control the Wemo devices.

I have had non-responsivness through Alexa to ONLY my Wemo Dimmers for a few days now, been trying to trouble shoot, power break resets, Echo resets, Wemo skill reset, Device resets.  The Wemo app contiunes to operate all forms of my Wemo devices (have at least 1 of all), including the dimmers.  Odd that only the Dimmer switches are being affected through Alexa control.

I tried your method.  Removed the skill from Alexa, and deleted all the Wemo devices from Alexa.  Had Alexa discover new divices.  All the binary switches were found/added and operate normally.  However it did not find or add the Dimmer switches.  With the skill activated, I got an Alexa responce of "Sorry, that device is not responding".  When disabling the skill, I got "Sorry, that device was not found".   So either the disruption at the server level is still affecting the dimmers communication, and/or the skill is needed for the Dimmers.  At this point I'm assuming the server communication is the issue with or without the Wemo skill...

I'll add my name to the WEMO not responding to Alexa commands.  I believe it was the server issue that was posted in this thread to be the cause.  My understanding is that you issue an Alexa command which gets parsed and then sent over to the WEMO servers.  They then act on the command to perform the function.  I notice my unresponsive devices happen at night when most people want to use the switches as things work during the day.  As to having the skill or not, my WEMO devices worked without me having the skill enabled (didn't know I needed one).  But when I added Dimmer WEMO switches they were not found and I needed to add the skill for them to work.  So my guess is the basic on/off was built in but now the more sophisticated switches like the dimmer need the skill app.  One thing for sure, WEMO is ruining their image

Pfg

This was posted yesterday on the news and announcements forum. It should have been fixed by now:

We are experiencing some instability with our Wemo remote access services that we believe are related to the Intel Meltdown security patches that were recently applied to the Amazon AWS Cloud. We are planning to perform a maintenance tonight that will upgrade the CPU performance of our servers. Until then, some customers will experience intermittent unavailability of their Wemo devices remotely (this will also impact integrations like Alexa and Google Assistant).

My miniplugs work through the Wemo app, but not with Alexa.  I’m still within the return window, I’ve only had them a month- but I hope they get it fixed.  I loved them until this!

It works a few times but then it still reverts back to unresponsive. Basically still the same issue.

Adding to this thread in hopes of finding a solution.  Alexa recognizes our two switches, but only works with the dimmer switch. The light switch shows a "device is unresponsive" in Alexa, but both work through the wemo app.  I have "forgotten, disabled, reinstalled, etc." so many times today that I am ready to scream.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Adding to this thread as this still appears to be an issue. Purchased 4 WeMo devices for my parents home. They worked great after we st them up Christmas Eve. Now they are working very intermittently.  A review of their status shows “server not responding.”  Alexa’s constant refrain “Belkin WeMo not responding” is becoming quite tiresome. At this point my Father is about ready to just trash the entire system.