WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dimmer: can increase brightness fine, lowering brightness requires on/off

[ Edited ]

Just installed a Wemo dimmer switch. The setup appeared to work fine. I can use my Google Home to turn the lights and and off. I can use it to increase the brightness to a set percentage (say, 30->70%) and that works fine.

However, if I try to lower the brightness, the brightness from the bulbs not does change. The app recognizes the new percentage, and displays that, but no actual change is made. If I turn the lights off and then on, they will be set to that new brightness level

Example:

1) Bulbs start at 80%, app shows 80%

2) I change brightness (using app, wall switch, Google Home, etc.) to 20%:

3) The app will reflect 20%, however:

4) The bulbs are still at 80%

5) If I turn the light off and then on again: app still shows 20%, and the bulbs will turn back on at the proper 20% brightness.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

J

Re: Dimmer: can increase brightness fine, lowering brightness requires on/off

Allow us to look into this, justinmm2. Make sure that your Dimmer is running on the latest firmware and you're using the latest WEMO App version. Have you tried re-configuring and re-calibrating the Dimmer? Also, make sure that your bulbs are found on the compatibility list for this device.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Jo-Ann,

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for my delay - had to leave town for a few days. Fairly certain the dimmer is running the latest firmware - I was asked to upgrade immediately upon installation, and did so. I have attempted to reconfigure the dimmer, as I have both fluorescents and (IKEA) LEDs on it. However, I am only concerned with the LEDs, and notably, the fluorescents and LEDs exhibit synchronized behavior (e.g, they both do the 30->70% jump properly). Still, I have tried setting the types to LED and incandescent on different occasions, with no change to the outcome.

One observation I made this evening: they were at 20 or 30% or so, and I asked the Google Home to turn them up to 100%. The same behavior as before: switch LED jumped to 100%, Google said it was done, and the app confirmed 100%. The bulbs stayed at the same level, however... For roughly an hour or two. At that point, they jumped up to 100% (I had made no other attempt to alter the lights, I can only assume it was a delayed reaction).

Another observation I made is that if the lights have been off for awhile, and then I turn them on, I can adjust the dimmer both up and down with success if I do it immediately upon turning them on. If I wait a few seconds and then attempt, the previously described (lack) of behavior continues.

In short, the *hardware* seems fine. The adjustment works to make them brighter. They turn on and/off properly. They seem to go through calibration properly. I can make them brighter, and everything is responsive, except the bulbs - and those *do* go to the proper level with a quick power on/power off. And, as noted above, the switch can make them go dim/bright if done immediately..

Just my thoughts at this point. I appreciate your assistance.

Justin

Highlighted

Thanks for the detailed update, justinmm2. You can try changing your bulbs to further isolate this. If the same issue persists, please have our Support Team check on your case by sending us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your contact details (phone number, and location), community username, and the link to this thread as reference.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support