WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dimmer not discovered in Smartthings... not officially supported but all other Wemo devices work

I know Smartthings is not officially supported but why would all the other devices work great with minimal effort in Smartthings but not the dimmer? And please... dont just reply with some generic response about not being able to provide support.

Frustrated rant below... sorry...

You guys are keeping the market fragmented. No support for Smartthings and 6 months after annoucing support for Apple Homekit it seems like its just been forgotten. Guarantee you'd get more business from having homekit compatibility over a home alarm system with another over sized motion detector. You guys could dominate this area but you are not customer centric. Listen to what people want more than what your management and investors think.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Dimmer not discovered in Smartthings... not officially supported but all other Wemo devices work

Belkin didn't build the support for the other WeMos in Samsung's SmartThings either.  The whole point of Belkin's WeMo is hubless automation, the whole point of SmartThings is vendor lock-in to Samsung's (somewhat overpriced IMO) hub and cloud.  I'd be surprised if Belkin put effort in contrary to their architecture to support a competitor's product.  You might get more traction asking on Samsung's site...

Re: Dimmer not discovered in Smartthings... not officially supported but all other Wemo devices work

[ Edited ]

That's bullcrap, SmartThings is not trying to vendor lock in anyone and supports both Zigbee and Z-Wave devices and has an extremely open platform for you to integrate your own devices to your hearts content, there's not thing on the SmartThings platform tying you to it whatsoever. 

The support for Wemo on SmartThings was done by a community member and integrated into smartthings as a "Labs" device.  

With that being said, the support does need to be in place for dimmer switches as I assume belkin is using the same UPnP protocol when dealing with the dimmer switches as well.

IMHO, Belkin's made some pretty terrible technincal design choices when it comes to development of the Wemo platform and could have done a lot better, espescially in terms of partnerships and integrations. However, it's not too late.

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Hmm, so you think samsung plans to open source their platform for anyone to build it and to avoid their cloud? I think not. They made a wise choice to buy a technology that harnesses you all to build extensions for them. The lock in is to their hub and cloud. They ain't doing it for the good of mankind... And they're already harvesting your usage data from their cloud.