WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

F7C030FC light switch recent firmware update - WILL NOT WORK w/HIDDEN SSID

I have lost several hours now and am ready to throw this thing out the door!  The recent firmware update will not allow the wall switch to work with hidden SSID, which we have been using this way for over a year.  I can get the switch connected and working over the internet.  The minute I hide the SSID the switch is disconnected from my router.

Please advise.

Re: F7C030FC light switch recent firmware update - WILL NOT WORK w/HIDDEN SSID

[ Edited ]

Hi, rmalouf. Hidden SSID is actually not advisable as it may have difficulties connecting and maintaining a connection to the network. However, since you mentioned that it has been working before, can you try to reset and reconfigure your Wemo Light Switch? Check if the issue persists and update us how it goes. 

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks Pamela. I realize you are simply the messenger.  However it is unrealistic to support a product that requires your home security to be set at a lower standard to function properly.

Having said that, and as a last ditch effort before replacing the Wemo with a competitive product, I moved it to the guest network (with a Google Home to control it) and it is holding for now.  

Thanks again,

Robert

We'd like to have our escalation engineers assist you further in connecting the light switch back to the hidden network, rmalouf. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Phone Number, Location - City/State), community username and a link to this post for reference. 

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

I don’t mean to be “that guy” but a hidden SSID is not more secure. Anyone that would be thwarted by a hidden SSID would never be able to crack a secrue network hidden or not.