WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fire hazard...wemo switch

Ive had one particular Wemo switch for about 6mths. Plugged into the same 3kw water heater...which is switched on for 1 hour each day via IFFT.

Today, I awoke to the sound of my fire alarm...as my switch was on fire and melted. Not the start if a great day.

Strangely the fuse is still intact....but my nerves are not.

Would the latest firmware have anything to do with this?

Any advice on who to contact at Wemo?

Re: Fire hazard...wemo switch

Hi, @mrleemarshall. This is quite an unfortunate event, we do hope nobody got hurt. Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com and we'll have you taken care of. Please include your contact details and the link to this thread.

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted

3kw is 3000 watts, correct? Switch is 1500 or 1600, yep you had a melted fire hazard for sure

Same thing happened to me!!! Had my air conditioner pluged into mine. My ac only pulls 1200 wats max I was sitting on my couch and heard a poping sound looked up and the plug was sparking. Now I have to have an electrician come and replace the outlet
Expert

Hi, Garbear. We're so sorry to hear about what happened. Allow us to make things right. Please send us an email at WEMOCares@belkin.com with the following details:

Name

Phone number

Model of the WEMO switch

Link to this post 

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

WEMO Technical Support 

Moderator,

Could you please explain in more detail what Belkin is doing to look into these fire-hazard concerns?  At Amazon someone had the same thing happen and actually posted a photo of their burnt-out WEMO.  This is three posts related to this problem that I've found without looking very hard.

I'm still very interested in the product and I don't tend to overreact to these kinds of reports.  On the other hand, I'd like to know if Belkin is addressing these concerns through any other means that simply replacing product or issuing refunds?  Is there an actual flaw that requires fixing?  What is being done to look deeper to find out?  Issues do arise unexpectedly.   I can get past issues with any company as long as user reports like this are addressed proactively.

Thank you!

@tjcwemo
The Wemo devices go through testing before it is released into the market, we can definitely assure you that our products are safe to use given that the user heeds to the limitation of the device.

Any such incidents that are reported to us was caused by a series of unfortunate events that led to the Wemo device to catch fire or melt. Any reports of these incidents are quickly escalated to our customer assurance team for investigations.

Thaddeus - 14850
WEMO Technical Support
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I'll second what Thaddeus posted.  

Any time we get a report like this we obtain the units back and talk with the users about what led up to any damage to the device.  It happens very rarely actually compared to the number of Wemo devices out there.  I am actually part of this process so I can assure you this is taken care of.  I get to see each unit that is sent back and in some cases I have worked directly with the Wemo user who reported it.

A large portion of the cases we have had are being used incorrectly or in an unsafe way.  The original post on this thread is due to the user plugging a 3kw water heater into the Wemo.  3kw as Rongeh posted is 3,000 watts which is double what the Wemo is rated as.  

We have also found that users have plugged Wemo devices into wall outlets that are on their way out.  What I mean by that is outlets that are 20-30 years old, are extremely loose where things wont fit into them, or the outlet has prior damage and shouldn't have anything plugged into it.

We put together a short safety tips article on our support site.  Here is the link:  http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=187943  In this you can see some examples of how a Wemo should be plugged in and examples of what can cause issues.

In that article is a picture of an acutal outlet we received from a user that had a Wemo plugged into it.  That outlet was over 30 years old, was corroded on the contacts, the contacts were loose to where they barely held anything in, there was dust and dirt in the sockets as well.  This was in an apartment that the user had just started renting and their landlord replaced it immediately.  They were kind enough to send it our way.

Hopefully that gives you an idea that we do take all of these claims seriously on the rare occasions they come up.  I can't stress enough though to read the article I linked above and check all your outlets, even ones that don't have Wemo devices plugged into them just to make sure they are safe.  Outlets are cheap and easy to replace but lives are not.  

Regards,

Robert S.

Wemo Technical Support

I appreciate the thoughtful responses.  I do have another question.  Since the WEMO is a "smart" device, for a case where someone has plugged a 3kw device into the WEMO (which is rated at 1.5kw) .... and since the WEMO (at least the Insight version) monitors power usage ... why doesn't the switch turn itself off when it senses that it the load exceeds the recommended load and inform the user via their smartphone?  It would seem that any self respecting "smart" device should be able to avoid something as elementary as a 2X power overload and immediately inform the user of the problem?

Smart devise dumb user, not a great combo.....