06-27-2017 11:26 AM
12-21-2017 11:10 PM - edited 12-21-2017 11:15 PM
Same just happened to me
My nerves are shattering, the wemo plug started sparking and melting Need some help I`m absolutely trembling luckily I was just going past the bedroom in my wheelchair and seen an orange glow.
I Look forward to your immediate response!!
12-29-2017 07:22 PM
02-11-2018 10:38 PM
05-02-2018 04:32 AM
This device as sold is a fire hazard and I second what has already been said. You mention the switch is rated at 1500W ... that makes sense for the US 120V 15A although it is still out of spec even then.
Your artcile that you reference doesn't manetion any max rating, it just refers you to the back of the device. My device says 'Input and Output: 240V 13A' which would equal 3,120W max rating. The fact that you guys fail to grasp something so obvious is completely beyond me. This is why the all these units are melting and catching fire. If the unit is rated at 1500W which it appears to be, it should be fitted with 6A fuse to conform to BS standards.
12-03-2018 01:51 PM
We have had two Wemo mini smart plugs (Model F7C063) for several months and just purchased two more on Amazon. While we were eating lunch in the same room with one of the plugs, we smelled smoke. The oldest plug (bought last December on Amazon) started smoking and melted a hole through the top right side (half way between hot line plug and receptacle).
At the time the 40-watt CFL lamp that was plugged into the Wemo was not on. There is no water in the area and no one touched the Wemo mini, which was plugged in a Belkin power strip. The only other fixture plugged into the power strip was an iPhone charger, which was not damaged. I have checked the polarity and grounding of the power strip, the outlet that it was plugged into, and the lamp. All three are fine.
I sent a picture of the burnt smart plug to WemoCares@Belkin.com, but have not yet recieved a reply. None of the excuses given on this website can explain the overheating, which occurred inside the Wemo mini itself. We were very fortunate that the incident occurred during the day and that we were nearby to smell it before a serious fire started. What assurances do we have that it won’t happen to our other three Wemo smart plugs we have purchased? A SERIOUS FIRE-HAZARD CONCERN.
12-04-2018 11:59 AM
We hope no one got hurt. Allow us to send a follow up to the concerned team so we can have this taken care of as soon as we can.